65 gallon Pony Plantation~

cindyp

I'm only 2 years in and up to 4 tanks.:rollingey
tanks are like tater chips you can't have just one :ofr:

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
I now have two pair of Reidi. They're both from the LFS's personal breeding stock and have been healthy and eating well for over 8 months.

Both males are flashing/courting both females which is confusing because I thought seahorses were monogomous... obviously not. The males turn almost completely white and lie horizontal in front of the females when they are 'courting' them.

Here are two videos of them doing just that....

Woodstock

RS STAFF
A few photos I took of them today...

Big Bob & Freckles
2010022123.jpg

Larry & Freckles
2010022116.jpg

Big Bob & Larry
2010022130.jpg

Big Bob
201002214.jpg

Big Bob & Larry fighting over Miss Piggy
201002218.jpg

Larry & Freckles
2010022132.jpg

Last edited:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Big Bob gave birth!!!

I've had Big Bob(Reidi) for only a week and he unexpectantly gave birth some time lastnight! I had no idea that he would pop so soon and it was a complete surprise to me.
I managed to collect well over 100 babies... many were in the Magnum 350 filter I had hooked up to polish the water :(
I was in a big rush to rescue all that I could before going to work this morning but did collect a lot! They are in my homemade krisel with dense rotifers (not enriched :( ) and some BBS.

This will be a loooooong day since I am so anxious to get home to them!

:dance:

panmanmatt

Congrats, Doni. Beautiful looking horses you have there.

Bob was already pregnant when you got him. Their gestation period is 14-21 days with most being closer to the 14 day mark.

Also, you don't need a kreisel for them, you can use one but it's not really necessary. You can raise them in regular tanks. The key is to keep them off the bottom of the tank, not the surface. And be sure to keep the bottom of the tanks clean to reduce cilliates and protozoa which are harmful to the fry.

There is an article in the library at SH.org by Dan Underwood on raising erectus fry. He uses the same set ups for his reidi also. Only difference is hat reidi need rotifers for about the first 2 weeks where as erectus can be started off with newly hatched artemia. If you need a link to it, just let me know.

Congrats on the babies. I hope you do well with them, just be warned that reidi are one of the more difficult species to raise but since you already have the rots going you should do just fine.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Fry video!

Thanks everyone :)

Here is a video I took of the tiny reidi fry yesterday. There are both rotifers and BBS in with them.
Some appear to have full tummies while other do not. :look:

Woodstock

RS STAFF
BigBob --- Before and After photos!

BEFORE birthing
2010feb24BIGBOBBEFOREbirthing.jpg

After birthing
2010feb24BIGBOBafterbirthing.jpg

He looks like a flat tire! :laughroll

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Larry & Freckles

After Larry gave birth, within hours he was pregnant again :eek:
Larry & Freckles are now a happy couple! :bouncer:
I saw the egg transfer but didn't have the camera with me.

Here they are courting.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Courting and egg Transfer videos!!!

Larry & Freckles courting

Larry & Freckles - successful egg transfer!! :dance:

Single 17 day old reidi baby