6 months in with an AquaEuro 34

CleanWater

Well the first six months have been interesting. I learned that I'm a water tender not a fish or coral keeper. Keep the water right and everybody is happy. Recent test results:
SG 1.025
Temp 78f
Ph 7.8
Amm 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 5.0ppm
These with API test kit
KH 8.9dKH
Cal 480ppm
Mg 1440ppm
These with Salifert kit
Tank lighting was 150w MH 20kK but the heat generated was overwhelming. Didn't want to run a chiller so rigged some LED lighting. Much happier tank.
Tank is stocked with two tank-raised clowns, two skunk cleaner shrimp and a handfull of hermit crabs and snails, some mushrooms, green star polyps and daisy clove polyps.
Have got some green hair algae but much preferred to red slime which almost made me give up.
I study and I learn, but that's the way with everything.
This forum helped every inch of the way and is an invaluable resource.
Thanks to all
Roland

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Way to go Roland! You've learned a VERY valuable lesson. Some people take years and years to learn it. Here it is from my signature:

Setragni said:
Having a reef tank is more about keeping water than fish or corals.

CleanWater

Thanks to you. You guys cut the learning process exponentially IF you listen.
Next project is to reduce gha as part of my filtration. Promoting anaerobic bacteria ?
Deep sand, algae scrubber or what? I'm lost but not discouraged. Thanks again for all your freely shared knowledge.
Roland

TylerHaworth

As a new aquarist I would wager that one or two things are contributing to your algae issue.

Excess Nutrients
-Source water: Only RO/DI water should be used when making up new water
-Feed less: We almost always overfeed our finned friends.
-Skim more: A proper protein skimmer is invaluable to getting waste out before it breaks down into algae fuel.
-More aggressive water changes

Insufficient Cleanup Crew
-Beef it up!

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Roland ur wise. That's the trick buddy, water tender. As for ha. After 6 months it should b dying back. For what its worth tho. I used to have huge ha in the sump. I added chaeto n within a day or 2 my ha in the sump was gone. I like how u think buddy. Instead of dosing crap into the tank u think natural. Bravo dude. Welcome.

U are using rodi water correct?

..........used coral frags. half off.

CleanWater

Was using Lowes bottled water (Primo) but found out it had some additives and am using ro/di replacement at 3gal per week. Am about half way through a complete replacement. Change everything SLOWLY! (that's from you guys). First change is tank walls stay much cleaner. Was scraping everyday. Not soo much now.

CleanWater

Was using Lowes bottled water (Primo). Found out it had additives and have been replacing with ro/di at 3gal per week. Change things slowly (that's from you guys). First change was tank walls stay much cleaner. Was scraping everyday. Not soo much now.

CleanWater

Am still using ceramic noodles in first (sump) compartment. Should I change it out with live rock? Should I be thinking of a hang on back refugium?

TylerHaworth

I would remove it slowly (Detritus trap), maybe a handful per week until gone... No need to replace it with anything if you have sufficient rock.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Ur to the point of (slowly) losing the ceramic due to potential nitrate problems. If u haven't shopped rodi units they do pay for themselves over time. Brs is a great start.

..........used coral frags. half off.

CleanWater

Changing over from Lowes bottled water. Ro/di about halfway at 3gals per week. Tank much cleaner. No red slime. Only mechanical filter is poly yarn. Have sponge growth in the sump compartments. White; looks like Q-tips with a fan on the end. Increased flow with a Koralia 550.