55G reef and fish tank Journey

Today I finished installing the DYI skimmer and the algae scrubber, because some miscalculation from my side the scrubber "net" was not long enough, it is about one inch above the water. I attached a plastic bag to it in order to prevent big splashs, meanwhile I get a larger one.

Today I checked Nitrates for the first time. The test resulted in zero!
Nitrites are also in zero, so I suppose that I can start adding livestock.

What do you recommend me to start with?

Lately I have seen many of these hitchhikers during nights, it seems that they like eating diatom algae.

what's the name of them?

they are on the back glass

DSC03438.jpg

It has been 35 days since I started my tank.

I tested my water and the results were:

Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
Calcium: 500 ppm
Alk: 10 Dkh
Salinity: 1.025
Temperature: 25`C
PH: 8.0

Because all the parameters looked under control, during the last week I decided to add some softies and fishes to my tank. This is the first time in my life that I do this so I was extremely excited. I was waiting for this moment since the first time I saw a salt water tank (almost 15 years ago).

zoanthids added on March 12nd

DSC03445.jpg

green polyps added on March 14th, the guy at the LFS gave me this softie as a present not sure of the name though.

DSC03456.jpg

Tanked raised Ocellaris Clownfish and Red Scooter Dragonet added on March 15th

Pedrito:
DSC03455.jpg

DSC03454.jpg

Xenia pom poms added on March 19th:

DSC03453.jpg

This is how my tank looks now:

Algae scrubber:
DSC03444.jpg

The Halimeda algae has been growing:
DSC03457.jpg

Full DT:
DSC03458.jpg

RIP Pedrito :sad:
:( Is Pedrito the Clown? What happened to him? I was just about to say the scooter may have been a bad idea because you need a really large copepod population to keep these guys, which you probably don't have yet since your tank is so new.

On a side note, I do really love your aquascape. All the different heights will be great for your reef, not to mention it looks awesome :girlthumb:

:( Is Pedrito the Clown? What happened to him? I was just about to say the scooter may have been a bad idea because you need a really large copepod population to keep these guys, which you probably don't have yet since your tank is so new.

On a side note, I do really love your aquascape. All the different heights will be great for your reef, not to mention it looks awesome :girlthumb:

Yes, Pedrito was the Clown :(
He died, unfortunately I dont know the cause. He was eating well, in the morning before he died he was pretty active.
My parameters seem to be OK. Nitrates: <0.3, Nitrites: <0.2, Ammonia: <0.1, Calcium:400, Dkh: 10, Salinity: 1.025, pH: 8.0

I am starting to worry since I have a second Clown (I dont see any sign of ICH or rare behavior)

I had a large copepod population, since I added the scooter I rarely see one,
by the way he is doing fine.

Thanks for the comments about the aquascape, I like it too, it is too bad that it is pretty difficult to clean the sides of the DT.

buuuuuuuuuump
I am in Japan right now, I havent seen my tank during 4 months I hope all it is ok
I will update you next week when I am back at home

my fish stock is:

1-Yellow Tang (Zebrasoma flavescens)
1-Red Scooter Dragonet (Neosynchiropus moyeri)
1-Fire Goby (Nemateleotris magnifica)
1-Clown tang (Acanthurus lineatus)

Corals

-Eeuphyllia divisia (frogspawn)
-Caulastrea furcata
-Montipora capricornis
-Red lobophyllia
-Plerogyra sinuosa
-Cladiella sp.(colt coral)
-Sarcophyton sp.
-Lemnalia sp. (Spaghetti coral)
-Heteroxenia sp (Xenia pom pom)