55 gallons of pure joy and terror.

jcgardner

I started reef keeping about 5 years ago. After several set backs and tank crash I basically left the hobby for about a year while I finished school, passed state boards, and started working as a RN at the local hospital. Due to neglect I lost my fish and all the corals. I was going to completely take the tank down and sell it but my husband convinced me other wise because he enjoys the tank as well as our two sons. So my adventure began again about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

The tank is 55 gallons with a 10 gallon sump, 10 gallon refugium, ASM protein skimmer, Mag 5 return pump, 65- 75 lbs of live rock and 10lbs of rubble. I have 3 korelia wave makers that are on continuously and 3 max jets (brand may be wrong) that are on a wave maker circuit. I have my own RO/DI system for making water and I use instant ocean salt mix. There are a few snails and a couple of hermit crabs in the system right now. Oh and for lights I have a T5 suspended about 2 inches above the aquarium.

Last edited:

nivek

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Welcome back to the hobby. Always good to have a supportive family in our crazy adventure lol

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Beautiful rock & scape - welcome back to the game & RS ! Cheers for starting a tank thread so we can follow along :dance:

jcgardner

Thanks I am super excited to be back. I am going to let the tank set for probably two more weeks before I add anything. Taking is nice and slow this time around.

jcgardner

Well the diatoms have shown up at week 3 still patiently waiting for the cycle to finish. This picture is from my phone so it isn't the best.

jcgardner

Ordered my clean up crew should arrive tomorrow. Will take pictures when I get them.

Banded Coral Shrimp 1 only
Emerald Crab 2 each
Lettuce Sea Slug, Green 2 each
Peppermint Shrimp 4 total
Spiny Star Astraea 5 each
Nassarius Snail 20 each
Dwarf Blue Leg Hermit Crab 24 total
Astraea Turbo Snail 10 total

lbiminiblue

I started reef keeping about 5 years ago. After several set backs and tank crash I basically left the hobby for about a year while I finished school, passed state boards, and started working as a RN at the local hospital. Due to neglect I lost my fish and all the corals. I was going to completely take the tank down and sell it but my husband convinced me other wise because he enjoys the tank as well as our two sons. So my adventure began again about 2 1/2 weeks ago.

The tank is 55 gallons with a 10 gallon sump, 10 gallon refugium, ASM protein skimmer, Mag 5 return pump, 65- 75 lbs of live rock and 10lbs of rubble. I have 3 korelia wave makers that are on continuously and 3 max jets (brand may be wrong) that are on a wave maker circuit. I have my own RO/DI system for making water and I use instant ocean salt mix. There are a few snails and a couple of hermit crabs in the system right now. Oh and for lights I have a T5 suspended about 2 inches above the aquarium.

welcome, welcome, WELCOME! back. I see you chose a 55. Always good option, especially for someone with enough experience as you. I love the rockscape, and all 6 powerheads!

jcgardner

Thanks. When we build our dream home we are planning on a much larger probably 300 gallon tank built in with a fish room.

Yes the 6 powerheads may seem like a lot but the 3 maxi jet are on a wave maker so they alternate. 2 of the korolia are fairly small. One day i would like to get a vortec or two.

jsgarrido

i got a 55 gal as well and i love the size of tank, but will want a bigger one as well. What types of corals are you going to put in your tank?

jcgardner

I plan on a mix of soft and sps. I'll get duncans, leathers, mushrooms, Xenia and then the sps. Planning the fish is always a hard decision. I want two clowns probably a black and white and true perc, a goby, a midas blenny, and a copper banded butterfly or mandarin pair once the tank is more established. What are you planning for your tank?

jsgarrido

as you can see from the bottom of my post i got a pretty good selection of corals and fish. i just recently got a elegance coral so im preatty happy for now. you can see some pics on my page i got a photo album . let me know what you think.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
I would post pics in your thread here... you will get more feedback :)

Very pretty !

jsgarrido-albums-my-reef-tank-picture24696-dscn2422.JPG