400 watt metal halide which bulb for this type ballast and reflector?

Skywalker

IMAG0721.jpgy

Skywalker

The bulb in there now says 20k but its kinda got alittle yellow to it. Wanting a crispy ice blue. Is that color capable with this style ballast kit? 75g mixed reef. Any bulb recomendations would be appreciated thanks :)

Snelly40

yah a 20k that's quality should def have ZERO yellow, if anything quite blue, a lot of people do XM 15k for a nice whitish blue, I prefer a little more blue like u and often waver to 18 or 20k which with those 400 w lights will still give you plenty of light... XM, Phoenix, Radium... all very good brands

Skywalker

As you can see the bulbs i have are pretty white but i want a more bluish tint. There is more yellow in person as well. What about that reflector should i change it as well just the inside shiny part its a retro kit do any of you have suggestions on that?

DaveK

Lighting is a very personal choice. I'd say your current lighting is fine, in that it looks very natural. To me the example given by Snelly40 looks way too blue and very artificial.

If you do want more blue, keep in mind that color temps on the bulb vary a lot between manufacturers. A 20K bulb from one company might match a 15K bulb from another. See Danjay Joshi's lighting guide for actual results from MH bulbs and ballasts (offsite) - http://www.manhattanreefs.com/lighting

Skywalker

DaveK thats funny you mention different colors for different manufacturers the ones in the pic are 20ks and they look quite white and alittle yellow. I think the bulbs are generic. I fired those up for a couple hours but havent mounted the reflectors yet. There is normally 2 x 150 watt 10k double ended mh in reef pods. Just need more light and alittle more blue tint nothong crazy.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
When you say
I think the bulbs are generic
you're probably on to something. If they are indeed "cheap" units then they very well could look yellow. I've used "cheap" bulbs many times over the years and I have never EVER gotten the right coloration and/or service out of cheap bulbs. Call me a "bulb snob" but if I'm going to invest in MH bulbs I'm going to invest in what have done the best for me over the years. For me and my tanks if I'm going MH I'm going to stick with one of these:

XM, Phoenix, Radium