400 gallon office system

I'm upgrading from an RSM250 to a new build.

My new system is under way. Here are the specs:
220 Gallon DT
100 Gallon sump
2 40b frag tanks (one for sps, one for lps)
2 85 gallon tall vinyl tanks for RO/DI and salt mixing (plumbed in to the system for water changes).
Plans for the stand. This thing is overbuilt, but I am totally paranoid about a tank collapse:
stand1.jpg

stand4.jpg

Mid construction:
u2eju4am.jpg

Stand completed:
3yze5usu.jpg

A video of the stand:
[video=youtube;1Al69z1rUCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=1Al69z1rUCs[/video]

Tank moved into my office:
tankage.jpg

And the tank in place on the stand:
Build0008.jpg

My sump and frag tanks will be in the garage along with all of the water change and filtration equipment.
handmea40bro.jpg

Once the system is in and running I will have a face to match the existing cabinetry in my office. Here is a 3d rendering:
newRender3DT.jpeg

I had wanted to build a small fish room in the garage but the idea got nixed by my wife. I made a rendering anyway:
garageBuild1.jpeg

I will be starting on the plumbing in the next week or so.
I have too many devices with Tapatalk!

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Geeezzz, THAT IS IMPRESSIVE! :square: Look very forward to following along with this build :D

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Great looking build Ian!!

What are you lining the bottom of the stand with? Is that TITANIUM underlayment?

What are your plans for lights?

I built a pan using shower pan liner. If I have a leak it should hold about 20 gallons of water before it hits the floor. A water on floor sensor will be in there so I will know about it before any real damage is done.

Al, I know... Mitras. But for now I am going with an ATI 60x8 along with my 2 Sol (upgraded to Vega). I am still very leery of all LED lighting.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
LOL I was "thinking" Mitras but wasn't going to suggest it... yet anyway :)

Have you had a chance to see any of the long-term coral growth and color shots from the Mitras? I think you would be pleasantly surprised.

With that being said your combination sounds rock solid and I'm confident it will produce amazing growth and color from your coral. I know you wouldn't settle for anything less.

I like your idea with the shower pan liner. I so wish I had been that forward thinking on my last install. When I took the tank down the hardwood floor under it had to be stripped and re-finished because of this over-sight. It would have saved me several hundred $$. Live and learn :)

I've subscribed so I'll be watching this build. You do some AMAZING work Ian :)

degibson84

I will be bringing home my 220 in the next week or so have been debating on using factory stand, which is no where near what you built, or building a new one about half the support as yours.

If I use factory I am going down with my overflow then through the wall into my R-300 refugium that will be on the floor in the room behind.

nice to see builds this big so i can get ideas as i go.

What rock do you plan to use? I am thinking maybe some marco and some BRS and seed with my 80lbs from my 75

I am using a combination of Fiji rock as base as well as Pukani and Tonga shelf. All dry and all from BRS. I will also seed some of the rock from my tank but I am leery of that because I have a single tiny aiptasia that I can't reach right now... which means there must be more.
I am also considering getting some rock from floridaliverock.com.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Ian any chance you have someone local there that has a highpower laser? We use them here for Aiptasia as well as purple clove polyps and it works great. Just be EXTRA careful :)

No, no laser jockeys. I will probably use aiptasiaX on the rock before I transfer it.
I have also decided to add a Copperband butterfly to my fish list.
I had put some berghia in the tank and they got a few (in fact it looks like they are breeding in my RSM250 sump which has a ton of aip in it) but then my shrimp keep eating the nudis as soon as they leave the safety of the rock.

Blue Space

hey Ian -How big is that piece of rock? if you could place it in a qt while treating it would sure help stop the spread to the rest of the system including sump. if AIP-X fails to kill your single aip, as it did in my case, 1 peppermint shrimp will do the trick. i find from my exp., they will only eat the small ones.

Doogle

I have 3 peppermint shrimp. The only thing they have reliably eaten are berghia nudis.

That sucks.

Everything else loos good! I especially like the PC of you in the stand, it shows how big it really is.

Too bad about the nudis.

This tank is going to be great!

I am gathering supplies and material. I want to take my time and really do this right.
I have been looking around at the large tank builds and using them as inspiration, so all my plumbing and electrical wiring will be as clean as I can possible make it.

I have received my lighting fixture, UV, WC containers, sump/vat, pumps, humidistat for controlling fans, additional PAB for my Profilux and rock.
Lots more to come and I will post photos sometime later today.