4" DIY Kalk Reactor (Probuilder)

soriano

I see that you are using a magdrive 2 pump
Is it a submersible power head?
Or is it a true in-line pump...

(just wondering if a submersible would work for an applicaton like this)

Pro_builder

I think you could as long as you didn't preasurize the system. I run mine straight from the RO top off line. I just don't thik that the sumerable pumps wopuld seal well enough to hold 85 psi from my RO unit.
That is why I run the Mag Drive 2 pump.

soriano

Do you think a submersible would burn out?

(When they say a powerhead needs to be submersed-do they mean 'just make sure there's water available for the the impellar to pump'?
- Or do they mean the pump needs to be submersed so it doesn't burn out...)

Never really figured it out

Warnberg

Well I took the build one step further and built one out of acrylic, total cost not including pump 43.00, with pump 89.00...

IMG_2655_Medium_.JPG

frezel

warnberg can u plese list all the pieces u used and where one can get them? these are both great designs , i like the clear one so that u can see in, but great job both of you, also what was the final tally on the pvc kalk build?

I'm thinking about building this reactor but I have a question:

Have you had any issues with leaks where the 1/2" pipe for the mag 2 is mounted to the reactor? Should that connection be a threaded?

Thanks so much for the step by step directions as well.

God bless,
disciple

prow

i did not have a problem with the hose connection. my mag 2 leaked around the impeller housing. ended up getting a ehiem pump and put a C-clap on it just incase. one of these double headed C-clamps. i also replaced that tubing you see here with pressure tubing.

Attachments

• yhst-11353365108554_1973_1009287082.jpg
    yhst-11353365108554_1973_1009287082.jpg
    8.9 KB · Views: 261
  • Picture 003.jpg
    Picture 003.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 256
I've never threaded pvc before. Is the 4" sch 40 pvc thick enough to adequately thread? Would I need to install an extra coupler at the pump intake area in order to have thick enough material to tap (threading through coupler and pipe instead of just pipe)?

Thanks and God bless,
Disciple

Frankie

RS STAFF
Its plenty thick enough. I taped into my uv line for the ca++ reactor i just set up. Here is a picture.

Attachments

• 000_1814_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1814_edited (Custom).jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 244
  • 000_1815_edited (Custom).jpg
    000_1815_edited (Custom).jpg
    15 KB · Views: 238

framerguy

How does the pump not sieze up immediately once you turn it on with the calcium powder running through it? That's my only concern. I'm buying the parts tomorrow to build one, I have an Eheim 160gph pump.

mps9506

How does the pump not sieze up immediately once you turn it on with the calcium powder running through it? That's my only concern. I'm buying the parts tomorrow to build one, I have an Eheim 160gph pump.

The pump inlet needs to come from water closer to the top, while the outlet of the pump goes into the body of the reactor near the bottom. This keeps the effluent stirred, but helps keep the pump from sucking up straight kalk.
This is also the reason you want to use a small pump you aren't trying to turn the entire thing into a magarita mix of kalk powder.

prow

like mike said and also because the reactor is air tight so no CO2 gets in and the kalk stays slurry. only after the kalk is exposed to CO2 does it harden.