38 Gallon Innovative Marine Nano Reef Project.

Pawlu

Cyclist, the light mount was purchased from Moduled LED, they make them custom, you have to give them your requirements and they cut to size, they are in Canada though, so your better off finding something in the US. But its just basic iron square tubing, I need to find a nice cap to finish it off.

Modular LED

Pawlu

Ok 3 weeks have passed already since the cycling of the tank.. Since then I have made a few mods as well as introduced some life into the tank.

First mod I made was add more flow to the first chamber in the overflow, I found that the overflow was only forcing water through the first portion of the media basket leaving the back part pretty much untouched. A small 75GPH pump seated on top of the main overflow pump, some tubing and a flow adjuster did the trick. I now have much better flow through the chambers which contain carbon and GFO at the bottom and filter floss towards the top. The filter flows is rinsed mid-week and replaced end of each week. Since I added the additional pump I have been putting a sheet of 50 micron at the top and rinsing it out daily, I am amazed by the amount of dirt that it is pulling out.

The new overflow pump:

IMG_0766_zps2da421a7.jpg

IMG_0765_zps95dd547b.jpg

And a 50 micron sheet after 16 hours of flow:

IMG_0792_zps626ada33.jpg

Pawlu

The next mod I made was a tray for my Chaeto, the right first chamber of the overflow is empty, I purchased some chaeto and placed it in the overflow, however it quickly sank into the bottom and started to break up and got no light. The fix was a sheet of plexiglass, one side slopes the flat level portion has several draining holes. Once cut to fit and placed in the chamber it allowed the overflow water to circulate below the cheato actually pushing it up a little. Reduced the amount of pieces getting loose and brought it up closer to the light, I used heavy duty suction caps below the tray to keep it in place. It now sits approx 7 " from the light which is a 6400K grow macro lamp, still not sure I am happy with it as it does leak quite a lot of light into the main display at night. I might pick up a smaller (shorter) CFL from a hardware store.

IMG_0769_zps89c5a1f0.jpg

Fitted in the overflow:

IMG_0771_zpsb70f15a9.jpg

Sitting properly, plenty of flow and light.

IMG_0774_zpsd964b02e.jpg

IMG_0773_zps43fbf575.jpg

Pawlu

Thanks been trying to absorb as much info as possible to avoid as many pitfalls as possible... prevention better than cure approach..

Pawlu

Well tank's coming up to 1 month now. Still going through some algae stages, hopefully it should be clear by the end of the next week. Additions so far include a couple of clown fish and CUC. This is the best shot I could get of them so far:

IMG_08301_zpse2eddbc8.jpg

Pawlu

The Orange clown fish was a resident of my small 6 Gallon Nano, the wife wanted a B/W so we timed it to introduce both to the new tank at the same time, right away they seemed to group up and hang around each other all the time. The glass top is too heavy, one slip and it would go crashing down into the tank breaking any coral and possible other live below, also every time I need to feed I have to lift it causing condensation to drip everywhere. It has to go!

Cyclist

I've been thinking about the lid for a while.
Have you seen the Aqua Top by Elos? I am thinking this could be done without much hassle.
I think that one would have to change out the lens on the ai sol’s to the 70 degree lenses so that the light can be mounted low on the aquarium.
They use glass, but a nice piece of molded acrylic could be used for the doors.
I’ll see if I can build one.

Cyclist

Hey, I had another idea I wanted to push your way. I recently replaced the stock power head with a maxi jet 1800, but now I am thinking of replacing that with two maxi jet 900. After doing this I was planning on running one at a time on 5-10 minute intervals (controlled by the Apex). This would allow for a different wave pattern in the aquarium.
One thing I have noticed is that running the maxi jet 1800 has dropped my avarage aquarium temp 1-2 degrees. I am not sure that the 900's would change that any more, but the do use less enegry to run.

Pawlu

Looked at the Aquatops, look slick but don't want to have to mess with the Sol's and need a secure tight fitting lid. As for the pumps, my personal opinion (again I'm no expert, so others might have a different opinion), I would not be using the overflow pumps as a method of creating a wave pattern, number one you will have constant variations in your overflow water volume height that will make it very difficult to Gauge fresh water top offs, two you really need circulation lower in the tank which the maxijets cannot provide unlike with power heads, use the power heads on the Apex and not your overflow pumps.

Pawlu

Some shots of tank progress so far, all critters and coral from my 6 Gallon Nano have been relocated to the new tank. A Royal Gramma is in QT tank and will hopefully be added in 2 weeks time. Skimmer started to create a skim mate 1 month in.

IMG_0854_zps5f7c8088.jpg

IMG_0860_zps0efe4717.jpg

IMG_0866_zps4466a0b8.jpg

IMG_0867_zps19a7c87c.jpg

Will hopefully have some more in a couple of weeks time.

ksicard

May want to give those GSP's some more room, unless you plan on trimming them on a routine schedule. They will grow over other corals if you allow them too.

Pawlu

Yep I will keep an eye out on the GSP, hey so far I never had much luck with good growth, so I'm hoping for better results with this new tank.

Pawlu

Well, 1 month and a quarter in. I now have my temperature very stable at 78F with two heaters working in tandem and both calibrated within .5 F of each other. I adjusted my colors on the AI's superblue to reduce the intensity of the Whites as they appeared harsh on the eyes as well as overpowering on the corals when ramped up to 75%, I now have an approx 25% less white than blue and super blue spectrum at 50% intensity (max).

Ordered a Tunze auto top off system, hopefully will arrive this week. All fish and critters doing good in DT, my Royal Gramma did not survive the Quarantine Period, something must have been wrong with the fish as my QT is in fact made up from my old nano reef that has very stable water parameters, the fish refused to eat from day 1. I have since purchased a Pygmy Angel who is doing very well and eating. He will hopefully be added to the display tank in a week's time.

IMG_00351_zpse4a0137f.jpg