3 Gal Pico: Not to scale

Gavin1110

Hello all many know me from the RSM forums, but my girlfriend and I started a 3 gal pico last night which we felt we should share. We hope everyone enjoys it as much as we do.

165223_10150359203690151_838695150_16816616_7035709_n.jpg

164889_10150359204240151_838695150_16816625_5644908_n.jpg

165624_10150359701865151_838695150_16824821_4353726_n.jpg

The daschund wished to remain anonymous.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.
I ordered one of these about 5 minutes ago actually :)
Good luck and have fun!

Gavin1110

Thanks all! Good luck with your tank Carl.

I think a weekly H2O approx 10-20%. Plan on adding more rock and going very slowly. Hopefully I can update some photos later today.

1st mod was cutting down the tube on an AQ20. We replaced the stock filter prior to filling. It seemed very cheap and AQ is much easier to replace the sponges and carbon for... however I think after it has cycled I'll find a way to sneak some Seagel and purigen in there.

We are also looking to DIY some better lighting. Either the ecoxotic stunner strips I have left from my RSM or possibly buying a 90w MH Clamp on I just fear it will make the tank very hot.

Also possibilities in mind are a AQ Fuge.

Gavin1110

Thanks! No new photos yet... honestly not much to really capture just yet not to mention the holidays keep us busy. Ammonia is at 2 ppm for about 2 days no nitrite yet. Waiting for it to go down and added some bacteria (Microbe-Lift Special Blend) to help seed the tank.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
What type of rock did you put in? I'm wondering where the ammonia came from - shrimp or rock?

chipmunkofdoom2

LEDs are a great option for picos, however, I'd recommend against the stunner strips. On the FAQ page on the Drs. site, they specifically state the strips are only for supplemental or accent lighting. DIY is a great option, or BoostLED (a sponsor on our forums here) makes great LED lamps that screw into a standard E26/E27 socket, so they'll work in any lamp.

Gavin1110

So the amm came from the mysids shrimp we put in to kick start the cycle. (regrettably mysids because we had no table shrimp available)

The rock came from my RSM's rear chamber... been saving it for this purpose for a while. However it could also be die off... unfortunately the rocks and H2O I mixed dropped to around 60 degrees for a couple hours prior to the set up. I wasn't concerned with the temp as there was no livestock being transported and I thought they wouldn't drop below 70 which is room temp.

I understand stunners are not meant to be used for actual lighting but they put out a good deal of light and wanted to give it a try... I mean I have them laying around from replacing my RSM hood and figured it would be worth a shot. I have 2x uv and 2x blue and if I can make a fixture I would add a couple whites and I think it would be enough to light a 3 gal tank.

I've seen the screw in bulbs but I fear it may be too much as they seem like they are designed to mimic MH's... the sponsor's stuff looks pretty good to be honest and that would be a viable option and much easier than building and hanging a fixture.

Gavin1110

Hello all just an update... we decided to go with the PAR30! But still cycling. Good news the Ammonia is gone and no detectable nitrite! Added more mysids today to see if we are cycled. Going to pick up some nice rock from the LFS.

Here is a pic from day 5...
165793_10150362902570151_838695150_16891531_1177461_n.jpg

Gavin1110

So added 2 more lbs of live rock 3 pieces! (well I didn't weigh it but thats what we were charged... it's likely more IMO prob 2.5 -3)

Also added more mysids to see if we would get more ammonia... about 2 hrs after I tested approx .25 ammonia. Will retest again this afternoon to see what the levels are at.

Gavin1110

I can't take credit it was my GF who did the scaping.

Question... we are around 30 ppm Nitrates no amm or nitrite. We havent put any more shrimp in... we haven't seen any diatoms or any algae growth, but we have been cycling with no lights. We have started turning the light on for 2 hrs a day. When do you think its safe to start stocking corals?

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Then the GF gets credit! :)

Sounds like it's cycled so I would guess you can do a water change to get the nitrates down, and maybe try one coral to start & see how it does.

Gavin1110

Yeah we plan on stocking 2 Hippos a pair of mated picasso clows and a carpet nem. JK

As far as stocking goes I think we will go with zoas, rics, acans, and a Hi-fin goby... (I think that is the name... either way the species who is red and white and only grows to 1.5")

Going to add the cuc if we get any algae. 1 red scarlet hermit and 1 snail.