3 day tank blackout

Doing a tank 3 day blackout. I have done a blackout before I was just wondering if since I have a refugium if I have to leave an air hole for the tank to breath. If it is getting fresh oxygenated water from the refugium/ sump in the bottom of the tank does the top need a hole????
Should I leave my refugium light on or cut that off too???
I added a substraight to an already set up bare bottom so I believe some light will get through the bottom of the tank...

Snid

Not sure what you have in your Refugium, but if you have Algae in it, I suspect you'd want to try and keep the lights on down there. Maybe temporarily tape some foil on the bottom of the DT to block out the Refugium's light? And as far as I know, you never want to stop oxygen from getting into either the Refugium or the DT, even during a blackout. There needs to be adequate gas exchange for the fish to breath. ;)

I'm assuming you have an Algae bloom that you are trying to eradicate? What measures have been taken so far and what are the water parameters if you don't mind sharing?

Parameter look to be in line
11 dkh
420 calcium
8.1 ph
1.024 salinity
0 nitrates

I caused the cyno bloom. I just set up my refugium it has live rock and some macro algae in it. I tried to cheap on the lighting for my refugium and went to lowes got a spot light and a power compact bulb. Put it on a timer and left for a business trip. When I got back I noticed the timer did not work so the light was on the entire time I was gone and it shined through to the display because it was a bare bottom tank. The cyno was out of control. Between the power compact that didn't have the correct spectrum (5,000k) and it being on 24 hours just upset my balance and farmed cyno.

Made a hole on the display tank for it to breath

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I also had major cyano that stayed out of control in my newly set up refugium for a long, long time.
Sometimes NEW & Cyanobacteria are an inevitable duo.
I finally broke down and used Chemi-Clean to treat my whole system. I added an air-stone bar to my DT for the recommended time & followed the directions to a T. I am not sorry in any way that I did. I had NO bad effects to any of my tank inhabitants. My Chaetomorpha & pods survived, everything worked out well & I'd do it again if I ever have the problem again.
I had GREAT FEAR before I did the chem-clean treatment that it might turn out bad...but all the reading I did seem to indicate that bad things happened because the directions were not followed.
If you need a last resort, I just gave you one ;)
Now, all you guys don't throw rocks at me for suggesting this ;)
I hate red Cyanobacteria :mad: that will not go away :mad:

sirrealism

I have no issues with Chemi-Clean and have used it a couple times. The big thing is to fix the problem that caused the red slime to start. If bad lighting was the cause and you have fixed that then i would use it. It does a great job but if the cause is not fixed it will come right back.
I see that you posted you parms but nothing about P04. I hope you checked that and have very little to none otherwise the black out is for nothing too