250 skimmer inlet seal

rgslady

So yea...I have been having the dreaded microbubbles forever, but now they are out of control. Read all I could here, checked out the diagnostics chart and there is a definitive leak at the pump, skimmer inlet connection. I have emailed rsm, but didn't know if there was anything I could do in the meantime. Has anyone tried to fix this problem on their own? I don't know if, according the that diagnostics chart, if I should have a "blue ring" or not, cuz there is nothing blue anywhere on the skimmer inlet or pump. Water levels are all up to par...did a thorough cleaning today. Would be nice to see a clear tank, not snow white!! :help1:

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I think the "blue ring" fitting goes back to the earliest of the older 130 models. I don't think it applies to the 250 tanks. Try calling Pinky Monday - may be quicker than email. Could there be a crack in that inlet connection?

Pinky Bulot U.S.A. Office: Red Sea 18125 Ammi Trail Houston, Texas 77060

Tel: (281) 447-0205 Fax: (281) 447-1153

Toll Free: 1-888-RedSea9

pinky@redseafish.com

or

redseainfo@redseafish.com

rgslady

Didn't notice anything when I cleaned it today. I certainly could have missed it, I guess. Guess I will take the darn thing apart, AGAIN, to see if I can find anything...ugh.

Thanks Terry

tnwillia

My RSM skimmer was replaced in my 3rd month so I can't help with specifics. "If nothing else" you could put a bead of slicone RTV around that inlet and let it set before putting it back in your tank. I'm talking about the type that does NOT dry hard but stays soft. Then, it can be "temporary" and removed if needed. You should can find it at Lowe's or Home Depot. Good luck!

jonoz

The "blue ring" refers to the 130 not the 250.

Are you running your fine polishing filter? which circ pump are your bubbles coming from?

rgslady

Why was your skimmer replaced, Tom?

I know for a fact the bubbles are coming from the skimmer, as soon as I turn it off they disappear. Bubbles primarily coming from the stronger pump, and if I turn that pump off they just come out of the other, in both cases with the skimmer running.

jonoz

Are you running the fine polishing filter? if yes, remove it and wait a few hours, check again for bubbles.

Otherwise, have you trimmed your black filter foam?

magicmann

I had micro bubbles and found that the pump was noy clicked into the skimmer and buubles escaped underneath,
You will also have bubbles problems if the level in your rear chamber is low.
Hope this helps.

Paul

tnwillia

Hey Christine, "Replaced" may have been bad choice of words as it was not by Red Sea. I replaced it with an ER Nano 250. Microbubbles may have been the only problem I did not have. I had heat swing problems 86-74 deg and no skimming other than a little burst once a week no matter what I did. In this time frame Rea Sea was adament that there were no pump/skimmer/heat problems in the 250 and I was doing something wrong. We all know that's not true now but thats trials and tribulations of getting one of the first US tanks.

Paul is right also about the water leve stability in the backl. ATO is the best way to end that.

Long term for your tank you might want to look at the Deltec 500 or the ER Nano sump skimmer. Some, but very few have been able to keep the stock skimmer out of shear frustration. Good luck which ever direction you go!

magicmann

Although most members have replaced the stock skimmer it does seem to be overheating is the main reason, that and a want for a superior product. However I don't think you will find many if any 250 owners with micro bubble problems.
I have to add that from what I have read the replacements are not always the answer.

Paul

rgslady

Yea, I kinda figured outright replacing may just buy me a new set of issues. Been reading the the threads on the Euros and like everything else, there are those that work awesome and those with problems.

I understand the water level issues, but I am too attentive to that aspect and know for a fact that is not the problem right now. Guess I just have to find a better way to seal the pump-skimmer connection. And have been looking at ATO systems also, to lessen one further headache...it just never ends, does it????

Max250

It's just the start rgslady :)

I'm surprised your big bubble trap foam isn't doing its job. Also take a look at the deltec mc500 skimmer.