220 Gallon build

degibson84

Another guy was having a similar problem and i was helping him look into self leveling floor patches and that would be perfect for you. Only problem is.... You need bare concrete. Without removing the carpet i got nothing for ideas with the exception of cutting an angled base like you mentioned.

ya my wife will not let me remove the carpet we just put that in when we moved in this past summer

degibson84

ok i know i have been away for a while but im redy to plug everything in but the lights.

stand level
plumbing
scaping

the only thing i am worried about is the overflow box. I went with the eshopps pf-1200. I am worried about how high the water will run on the teeth of the box. Will i be able to control this with the ball valve on my pump?

degibson84

ok so system has been up and running and I am very confused. The water level in the sump fluctuates so bad. one day the water level is just at the water level mark. the next day it is under the mark and it isn't evaporation, SG stayed the same.

this led me to believe the pump was running faster than the overflow could handle and i did notice a slight increase in water height in the DT. I closed the ball valve just a bit to try and slow it down. Left for about 7 hours and came back and the water level is yet again about an inch lower in the sump. If i cut the pump back any lower then i start getting air bubbles in the U-tube.

What in the world am i doing wrong????

degibson84

awaiting my CUC from reefs2go.com. debating on buying a goby for sifting through the sand. My LFS always has diamond gobies but i would prefer a small conch if possible. I haven't been able to find them online anywhere

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
I wouldn't do the goby, they make a mess after a while! Are you among on adding more rock? How much you have in there now?

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Can you get a better pic of your sump? Your level shouldn't change if you have baffled them...... You'll notice any change, evap/pump speed in the last chamber.

degibson84

I have all the plumbing/water level issues finally worked out. as far as adding more rock i dont think i want to. The picture makes the tank look very empty but when you are looking at the tank it looks much fuller than the pic shows. I also have a large piece of live rock in the sump. I am not sure of the actual weight of the rock but the entire left side of the tank is very mature LR that was transferred over from my 75. i would like to say there is around 100lbs of live and around 100-125 dry

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I wouldn't do the goby, they make a mess after a while! Are you among on adding more rock? How much you have in there now?

Boo! I'm going to be the voice of reason here... GET THE GOBY! They're cool... because I said so. That's reasonable, right? :p j/k

I have a watchman goby and he isn't digging at all because my rock structure has so many caves. He just bounces around between them. Though, sometimes I see him grab a mouthful of sand to chew on.

degibson84

Boo! I'm going to be the voice of reason here... GET THE GOBY! They're cool... because I said so. That's reasonable, right? :p j/k

I have a watchman goby and he isn't digging at all because my rock structure has so many caves. He just bounces around between them. Though, sometimes I see him grab a mouthful of sand to chew on.

my luck he will throw sand over all my corals once i add them in

I have a pink luthers goby and a dusky jawfish. Both sift sand and throw it. Its cool to watch only ever bothered one of my frags and I just moved it. I say get it. It's neat to watch then perch on their "foot"

degibson84

last weekend I bought a small rock that had to be split to transport down to me. One piece had one mushroom and the other had zoas and 3 mushrooms. As I was feeding the tank today I noticed 2 small aiptasia nems on the larger rock with only one shroom. So I reached in and pulled the rock out and took a dremel to cut the mushroom off. I put the new smaller piece back in the tank but now I am afraid that I am doomed.

what do you guys think?

degibson84

tried a sweet tiger goby and even though i had the tank screen off around the top he found a way to jump on to the top glass and got a very crispy suntan. I am not sure I can keep a conch in my tank since I have a Green Spotted puffer. He seems to go after all my snails

degibson84

He was a beautiful fish he made a nice little burrow under a rock and was starting to eat frozen and i came home from work to find him sun bathing. I am imagining that the puffer startled him. I really need to get rid of the puffer but my wife wont let me.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
last weekend I bought a small rock that had to be split to transport down to me. One piece had one mushroom and the other had zoas and 3 mushrooms. As I was feeding the tank today I noticed 2 small aiptasia nems on the larger rock with only one shroom. So I reached in and pulled the rock out and took a dremel to cut the mushroom off. I put the new smaller piece back in the tank but now I am afraid that I am doomed.

what do you guys think?

Just because you saw a few doesn't mean your doomed. They pop up in all of our tanks every now and then. The trick is to be vigilant and not to let them take over.