20L Sump Refuguim Project

Witfull

im glad to see all the Q&A you did picking my brain helped, you did an AWESOME job,,,and no blood,,,chick with powertools!

KimPossible

Im looking at a CPR External Overflow Box 800gph. This one has the auqua lifter to restart the syphon incase of power outage and syphon break.

CPR Box

Does anyone have any experience with these, or just your thoughts.

I purchased a Mag7 today.... but am waiting on the Overflow box until I feel comfortable with the purchase.

tmc

i haven't heard many good things about the cpr models but i am a newbie, i recently got a life reef overflow from ebay and it works great. restarts every time i test it. a little expensive but like i said i got a good deal on ebay. i think the u tube versions are supposed to be a better design, other companies also make them. hth
tmc :)

KimPossible

Hi ya Frankie! Well, I took everyones advice on "lifereef" for the slim line pre-filter box, they are 2 months out on fabricaiton so I have to wait until July to get er in. I started the plumbing on my return. I got some lock line and 2ft of pvc, Im clamping flex line from the pvc to the pump(it will just be easier for me this way.... and I wont have to deal with as many elbows) Thanks for the basics on pvc fitting Frankie :) .... and i did not forget to sand out the cuts on the pvc. !!!I cant wait to squeeze in my fuge!!!!!!!!

Gina

RS STAFF
Kim,
Why don't you try and make your own? You did such a good job on the sump, I would try and find a good pic of a HOB and try making it myself.

KimPossible

:bigbounce thanks for the confidence Gina. I did roll that one around. For some reason it scares me a bit. I'm gonna just buy one, I am getting more confidence in my DIY skills. I'll have many more opportunities with my in wall visions getting closer to reality.

Gina

RS STAFF
No reason to be scared! You should give it a try! Have to admit though.....much easier to buy it!! LOL

julest

"I started the plumbing on my return. I got some lock line and 2ft of pvc, Im clamping flex line from the pvc to the pump"

Any pics of the plumbimg yet kim? I'm in the middle of a sump/refugium project myself so I NEED ALL THE HELP I CAN GET!!!!!

julest

KimPossible

Return Plumbing

:) Here's what I did.
Attached some flexline to a couple 90 deg. elbows to make the hang on.
I ran pvc down to my ball valve. Clamped my flexible pvc to the nipple on the ball valve and dat be it !

I will cut my flexible pvc after I pull out my stand to squeeze my fuge under my tank, I can only cut once. But I'm ready :bigbounce . Now I just have to figure out if I'm gonna make the overflow box or not. I'm leaning towards reeflife :smirk:

I will be moving 416 GPH with the plumbing set up I made, GPH was part of the reasoning behind the flixible plumbing coming off the pump instead of pvc with more elbows.
Flexline.jpg
]

ballvalve.jpg

Return_Plumbing.jpg

Mag7.jpg

julest

That looks good Kim.I agree with the less elbows the less resistence and less chance of things going wrong.Flexitube is the way to go and will give a much smoother flow rate.Because of space issues under my tank I'm putting my sump in a seperate room adjacent to where my display tank is.Like you I had a look at Melev's designs and had a sump made from glass to hold an extra 45USG at half full!!.Glass is much less expensive than acrylic.What type of adhesive did you use on the joints?

Julian

KimPossible

Glass is much less expensive than acrylic.What type of adhesive did you use on the joints?
I purchased a 20L glass aquarium and added what I needed to turn it into a fuge. The structural intertity on something like a tank or overflow (by my own hands) is what worries me. I may try working with acrylic. My lfs told me it was not that big of a deal if I used weldon 4...i think, and to be extra sure in my case, if it would make me feel better...follow up with weldon 16. But we'll see....I may give the overflow a go, or maybe just start with a small box and see how I do :)

Good Luck julest! The biggest thing that I learned is that I'm my worst enemy! I syke myself out in the beginning everytime :rolleyes: Even though friends are encouraging and give me TONS of tips :)

Thanks Doni and Frankie!!