2003Slobra's 90G Reef Tank

Hello everyone,

Figured I would start my own thread to accompany my newly required 90G.

Tank/Stand- It is your basic 90G AGA Drilled Aquarium ontop of my custom built stand. It is only custom because I built the stand from ground up. It has 3 sides, only one completely closed. The left side is open for easy installation/removal of the Sump. The Front has two Cabinet Doors and the back is open to allow for escape of heat/evaporation.

Sump- The Sump is a modified 20G Long Tank. I took 4 pieces of a mix between Glass and Acrylic and used the common chambers and fuge' for the middle. I figure the fuge' is atleast 10G and the remaining amount for the chambers. The fuge' contains LS, LR and will have Chaeto and Rowaphos with some sort of cleaner group in about 2 weeks. I think I will have some sort of 24/7 Lightning. For a Protein Skimmer, I have a Remora Aqua C and so far I love it.

Plumbing- The return pump is a Mag 7 (Still questionable) with hardline back to the return pipe in the Overflow in the tank. I have 2 powerheads also inside of the tank along with the split nozzle out of the return tube. Hopefully this will be enough flow, so far it looks perfect. If not, I can always upgrade to a MAG9.

Rock/Sand- As far as Rock, I have a mix between a few groups. Majority of the base is Fuji Live Rock, about 45 LBS. Mixed in with that making up the large base piece, is Live Tonga Rock. I also went to a local LFS and picked up some rock from the coast of Florida that was already fully covered in Coraline. The sand is a fine grain of Oolite and a top layer of Fiji Pink(~100 LBS).

Lighting- I purchased a Aqualite Pro (I belive) that is 48" in L. It has 2-250W 10,000K double-ended HQI metal halide lamps and 2-96W True Actinic 03 Blue square-pin compact fluorescent lamps, 4 1W Lunar Blue-Moon-Glow 470nm LED lamps and 2 external HQI metal halide ballasts with on/off switches. Hopefully, this will handle all of the needs I need as far as lightning is concered.

Let me know if you have any questions and all comments are welcome!! Pictures will be up once I stop messing around with the Rock and get it all set. Majority of it is finished!!! Can't wait to get this cycling and everything tested so I can start adding fish/corals!!

Matt

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Nice set up and equipment Matt.:thumbup:

Might I suggest you add a phosban reactor with a minjet 400? I have one; I rotate phosban media and activated carbon in it. It works great.

Ohhh.. if you use carbon, be sure to soak it in ro/di water prior to use. This will help remove po4 from it.

pics, pics, pics...

Woodstock said:
Nice set up and equipment Matt.:thumbup:

Might I suggest you add a phosban reactor with a minjet 400? I have one; I rotate phosban media and activated carbon in it. It works great.

Ohhh.. if you use carbon, be sure to soak it in ro/di water prior to use. This will help remove po4 from it.

pics, pics, pics...

I have Rowaphos in there as of right now, hopefully it will hold me off for the time being.

I will get some pictures up tomorrow after I install the lights. I moved Rocks around today and it is a little blurry. Pictures will soon come!!

Last edited:
PICTURES!!

DSC_0278.jpg

This dosen't show the true colors to the Atinic's, flash ruined it.

DSC_0277.jpg

Just trying to show a close up of the stand, proud of it. Something I made all on myself!! :lol:

DSC_0276.jpg

I will be hanging the light for the refug', this is just for a as of right now step for light for the Macro.

DSC_0274.jpg

What do you guys think of the Layout of the tank?

Thanks for all of the replies everyone! Tomorrow I will probably be adding a bit more LR to fill the right side. It seems a little bare. I will also pick up my cleaning crew, my cycling is just about complete in about 3 weeks. :whstlr:

Here is an update for those who are interested;

Tank is going great, here are my first few bunch of corals and fish.

Fox Coral;

DSC_0288.jpg

Frogspawn;

DSC_0287.jpg

Green Carpet;

DSC_0285.jpg

Purple Carpet;

DSC_0286.jpg

Clownfishin the Carpet Anemone;

DSC_0292.jpg

lcstorc

Where? I don't see any new pics. :(
The ones you posted earlier look great.
I particularly love the carpets. I tried a purple one but it died in 3 days. Hope you have much better luck than I did.

Thanks for the reply's. Tank is doing great! Just slowly adding new stuff but I am pretty much happy with what I have. Now just time to sit back and watch it all grow.