2 nEwBiE questions!!!

travis127

I have a 45G hex tank I am setting up I plan on using 45-50 pounds of live rock (cured that is) so I can put all that rock in with my water/substrate all at once for the start of my "cycle journey"? From what I've been told by some pro's on here I can but I just double checking!

My second question is during this time while my rock is in and everything is cycling should I have my Filter on and running right away? Its a hang on filter....

Thanks for taken a look at this everyone I trying to get my game plan down for my "start day" (hopefully being this Saturday) :bluenod:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Yes and yes! You want the rock to be in there or after it does cycle and you add it, it will cycle again. Turn that filter on dude! You can run it now with out the rock also. (just make sure you have water in there ;) )
welcome to RS!

prow

i usually put the sand in first then let it settle. it may take a week for the water to clear. if its rinsed really well a day or less. then i clean any residual left over from the sand storm, pumps included. after that add all the rock. i would not use a filter though, maybe for a day or two to get whatever tiny particles might left, unless it has no sponge or anything in it, just for flow is good. add some PH's too.

kathywithbirds

Hi. Yeah, I threw it all in at once too. Think there's some people who like to do it piecemeal but I guess that's preference, I dunno.

What kinda filter ya got? Got a skimmer, lights, sump? Pictures are always welcome!!

travis127

I was assuming doing it all at once ... I have a Marineland penguin 200 with the bio-wheel, no skimmer yet, i have a 18" 50/50 bulb, power head ready to go.. just need my r/o water to mix with my salt I have and my rock and its GO time! I cant wait I am excited just to see my tank start to cycle and eventually get my Cleanin Crew in there!!! And someday in the far future I hope I can have my Mandarin dragonet! we shall see!

funkpolice

What it is.
When you put your rock in the tank, take your time. It's alot easier to do without any fish or corals. Even if it takes a week, make sure you like it. Look at other peoples tanks for ideas. I just through my rock in, and had to redo everything later. It's a pain in the butt. Good luck. It's exciting to start up a tank.
bill

travis127

Yea Im gonna try to create what I think is called the "atoll formation" with my rock.. Its the one that look like a C from an over head veiw that way it curves with my hexagon leaving an opening in the front of my tank!
At least thats what im gonna shoot for!

lcstorc

Don't forget to leave lots of caves for the fishies to hide in. Also think about flow behind the rocks.
Also some people put eggcrate down first to help stabalize the rock. I like to put the rocks directly over that so it is more stable and then add the sand.
Really though it comes down to preference.
Get that cycle started (but not with live fish).