1st time reefer

rustyreefer

Been reading this site amongst others for a few months as I worked to decide if I wanted to switch from African Cichlids to a reef tank. I finally decided to do it and broke my 100 gallon freshwater down a few weeks ago and am currently awaiting the delivery of my new RSM 650 which is supposed to be delivered tomorrow.(fingers crossed)

I have been keeping freshwater fish nearly my whole life as I started around the age of 12. I have always wanted to do a reef tank but never wanted to spend the money on getting it all setup. Going to get the tank in and get it all fixed up. Still trying to decide on adds to what comes with the RSM 650. Dosing pump, reactors, uv, etc.) Not planning to start with any of that but have been tossing up the idea of getting the UV. So many mixed reviews on those being beneficial though so not completely sold yet.

I live in Texas and have plenty of LFS's with a good bit of options and would prefer to buy local if possible. Although I have mail ordered a ton of cichlids in the past with good success. We will see if I can find my preferred stocking list in town first.

Thinking of doing the below in groups over the course of a few months.
Group 1(after cycle)
A clean up crew

Group 2
Diamond Goby(pair)
Royal Gramma(1)

Group 3
Blue Green Chromis (pair)
Bangai Cardinal (3)
Firefish (pair)

Group 4
Flame Angelfish (pair)
Clowns(pair) not sure which ones just yet but probably the ocellaris

Group 5
Yellow Tang
Powder Blue Tang...Or maybe a blue tang(I hear the blue tang requires 180 gallons.

Somewhere in the mix I plan to add some corals too, but wont know until I see how stable the water is after I start adding a load to it.

Feedback welcome as I really am a novice and could use any help/suggestions you may have.

Thanks in advance
RR

DaveK

Among the fist group of fish you add, I would include ones that are fairly active feeders. Many people new to the SW side tend to overfeed and having fish that will tend to keep feeding will be an advantage. Consider putting the chromis in with the first group of fish.

Firefish are small and great jumpers. Make sure the tank is extremely well covered, and that they can't get into the overflows.

Don't attempt two flame angles. They tend not to like each other, and most likely one will end up getting beat on and killed by the other.

Powder blue tangs are a bit more difficult than many other tangs. They can be difficult to adapt, but once they do they are a great fish. They also also notorious "ich magnets", They are very prone to the disease, so make sure you are prepared to deal with that. Quarantining new fish is the best way to go.

Reactions: SPR

SPR

You could maybe get a few more Chromis as they tend to dwindle in numbers so maybe start with 7 or so.

UV’s seem to be more popular in Europe from what I can gather on the forums, and you have to make sure the flow rate is correct otherwise they are of no use. Slower is better for more killing power.

I’ve used one for most of the life of my tank, 24/7 infact apart from changing the bulb every 12 months I can’t see any reason not to use one, it can only do good things really.

And start a build thread when you get chance

rustyreefer

Among the fist group of fish you add, I would include ones that are fairly active feeders. Many people new to the SW side tend to overfeed and having fish that will tend to keep feeding will be an advantage. Consider putting the chromis in with the first group of fish.

Firefish are small and great jumpers. Make sure the tank is extremely well covered, and that they can't get into the overflows.

Don't attempt two flame angles. They tend not to like each other, and most likely one will end up getting beat on and killed by the other.

Powder blue tangs are a bit more difficult than many other tangs. They can be difficult to adapt, but once they do they are a great fish. They also also notorious "ich magnets", They are very prone to the disease, so make sure you are prepared to deal with that. Quarantining new fish is the best way to go.
Thanks for the feedback! While the internet is a great resource, there is a ton of conflicting information out there!
I like the idea of putting the chromis in with group 2.
I also plan to order the net cover for the RSM 650 while the tank is cycling. Just haven't placed the order just yet.
I was hoping to try and do a pair of Flame Angels but if I cannot pair them up, I will definitely only do 1. That said, I will ensure to do more reading between now and then to see if I can find any success stories with M/F pairs.
Appreciate the info on the Powder Blue. I really would like to add one of the blue tangs for the color so looks like I need to do a bit more research to find the right one.

RR

rustyreefer

You could maybe get a few more Chromis as they tend to dwindle in numbers so maybe start with 7 or so.

UV’s seem to be more popular in Europe from what I can gather on the forums, and you have to make sure the flow rate is correct otherwise they are of no use. Slower is better for more killing power.

I’ve used one for most of the life of my tank, 24/7 infact apart from changing the bulb every 12 months I can’t see any reason not to use one, it can only do good things really.

And start a build thread when you get chance

I had originally planned on doing 6-8 Chromis but decided to bring the number down. I do like the idea of a small schooling group, which is why I landed on these in the first place. Might need to go back to that original plan.

I tend to agree with you. The UV cannot be a bad thing so why not just add it and move on.

I was also looking at APEX controllers and DOS last night. Man I want them both! lol
I might just buy the controller before my tank is done cycling hahaha. I can wait on the DOS for now since the tank isn't even started yet.

SPR

I had originally planned on doing 6-8 Chromis but decided to bring the number down. I do like the idea of a small schooling group, which is why I landed on these in the first place. Might need to go back to that original plan.

I tend to agree with you. The UV cannot be a bad thing so why not just add it and move on.

I was also looking at APEX controllers and DOS last night. Man I want them both! lol
I might just buy the controller before my tank is done cycling hahaha. I can wait on the DOS for now since the tank isn't even started yet.
Apex is very good and I know it’s not essential and yes I know it’s expensive, but it’s just good. You pay ya money.......

Uncle99

My experience with chromis is no matter how many you have, in the end, you will only have 1, but you have much bigger water so maybe that makes a difference. Lucky they are inexpensive.

Diamond back goby is a sand sifter and these are problematic in immature reefs as the sand bed is not yet populated with enough micros to sustain 1, let only 2.

PBT are quite difficult to keep long term. I would go with blue and yellow.
I like you idea of last for these, good call. When I did mine, my 65g DT was 12 months mature, no addition for 4 months prior, both were QT together and both entered the DT at the same time
image.jpeg

rustyreefer

:rbwwelc:to Rs ! Post us some pics when you get your new RSM 650, bet you will love it !

as related to...

Here is a post written by the owner of RS (Travis) I think it's great advise...

Using the Internet: A Reefkeeper's best 10,000 friends.

http://www.wetwebmedia.com/10kfriendsart_.htm
Thanks! That was a good read.
Might have some pictures tomorrow as I plan to get it setup and filled with water tonight. Might not have the aquascape done but will definitely start a tank thread and post my progression along the way.

rustyreefer

Apex is very good and I know it’s not essential and yes I know it’s expensive, but it’s just good. You pay ya money.......
I noticed! But does seem like it is worth the investment long term. I have a few weeks to think about it but already know what I am going to do... Fold and buy it. lol

rustyreefer

My experience with chromis is no matter how many you have, in the end, you will only have 1, but you have much bigger water so maybe that makes a difference. Lucky they are inexpensive.

Diamond back goby is a sand sifter and these are problematic in immature reefs as the sand bed is not yet populated with enough micros to sustain 1, let only 2.

PBT are quite difficult to keep long term. I would go with blue and yellow.
I like you idea of last for these, good call. When I did mine, my 65g DT was 12 months mature, no addition for 4 months prior, both were QT together and both entered the DT at the same time
View attachment 48930

That's a good point on the Goby. Might need to rethink that a bit and move them down in the grouping.

Appreciate the feedback on the tangs. I definitely would prefer the blue and yellow. Kids want Dory you know lol

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Here a great read on coral you can start off with and have success... shows care levels...
https://sites.google.com/a/asira.org/www2/caresheets

Sensitivity/Difficulty:
Level 1 - easy to care for, good corals for the novice aquarist
Level 2 - require slightly more attention than level 1 corals, but
still generally tolerant
Level 3 - require stable, established aquariums and care by an
experienced aquarist
Level 4 - should only be kept by the most experienced aquarists
Level 5 - not known to be able to survive in aquariums, even under the
care of the most experienced aquarist

DaveK

The thing about putting a lot of chromis in a tank is that all together they use up a lot of stocking capacity. Unless it's something really good, your usually better off with less of them.

As for items like UV, these are something you add to a tank to solve a specific issue or problem. If you don't have a problem UV will solve, there is no need to add it. Your going to find the hobby expensive enough as it is, without adding items you don't need.

Controllers fall into a similar class. They are something that is very nice to have, but not critical. If you want one, first make sure you really have something that needs controlling. No point in getting a controller just to turn lights on and off when a simple timer will do. Also consider what happens if the controller fails. You might have major parts of the system not running correctly. Lastly, if your lighting, filtration, or skimmer is not up to par, your better off spending the money to upgrade those areas before you bother with a controller.

rustyreefer

Well tank is in, scaped, and filled with water. Long night but well worth it. Now just need to let it all settle and cycle. Started playing with the lights and need to get a good schedule set. Will likely finish that up tonight.
Let me know your thoughts on the scape. It usually takes me a few times to get something I like but I threw this one together and didn’t see any reason to change it as I thought it turned out nice.
150 lbs of life rock
80496fbeb326fe3cfaa4d22eb4a36d3c.jpg

e6dc71a072fc24772a66669d70f48889.jpg

More, better pictures to follow over the coming days. I’ll break my DSL out soon :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaveK

Well, here is where I get to disagree with @nanoreefing4fun. (grin) I'd say your aquascape isn't bad, but that it could be a lot better. I think it's way too symmetrical, in that one side is almost a mirror image of the other. Same thing for the arch being almost dead center in the middle. I think it would look better if you made 2 or 3 piles of rock, and make them in very different sizes. Also place them various distances from the front of the glass. Then put the arch going from one of the piles of rock to the bottom and/or at an angle that is not parallel to the front glass.

rustyreefer

Love the scape & arch !!! :nessie: nice looking LR too !

If interested... here the best post I have ever read on Cycling a tank, by RS member prow,,, I have read this post many times.

Newbies, a little something on cycling/breaking in a new reef tank.
Thanks! That was a good read so thanks for sharing. I added the bacteria last night that came with the sand and have some Dr Tims. Need to do some more reading today as I was planning on using the Dr Tims to cycle the tank.

rustyreefer

Well, here is where I get to disagree with @nanoreefing4fun. (grin) I'd say your aquascape isn't bad, but that it could be a lot better. I think it's way too symmetrical, in that one side is almost a mirror image of the other. Same thing for the arch being almost dead center in the middle. I think it would look better if you made 2 or 3 piles of rock, and make them in very different sizes. Also place them various distances from the front of the glass. Then put the arch going from one of the piles of rock to the bottom and/or at an angle that is not parallel to the front glass.

Appreciate the feedback. I like the idea offsetting the arch so it isn't parallel with the glass. I may play with that a bit tonight. the two islands are a bit different, just hard to see in the cloudy water. I do think I need a bit more rock to add to the right side though, which will help differentiate them a bit more.

DaveK

Appreciate the feedback. I like the idea offsetting the arch so it isn't parallel with the glass. I may play with that a bit tonight. the two islands are a bit different, just hard to see in the cloudy water. I do think I need a bit more rock to add to the right side though, which will help differentiate them a bit more.

When I first say your tank pict, it did look like it could use more rock, but then I noticed that you had 125 lbs of rock. You just about at the ideal amount. I don't think you need any more rock. However, you may want the structure to look bigger. This is easily done by using eggcrate and/or pvc pipe to build an internal, open structure and put the rock over that. This has the added advantage of giving the fish large open hiding places in the rock work.