1st death already in Hypo at 1.014, pls HELP!!

cz08

Unfortunately, nothing to be done without knowing what the fish's problem really is. I think you're dealing with a mixed bag of problems. You've addressed the MI, but there is something else going on.

Unfortunately the coral beauty passed away.Now the porcupine is acting wierd. Usually shes very personable and eats alot ,today she very lethargic and didnt eat much. I have no idea how she can just suddenly turn so quickly.She hasnt shown a single whitespot since about 4 weeks ago in the main tank and has been very healthy prior to this spitting water at me everyday I open the lid and had an aggresive appetite.

Done another 60% water change,rinsed the filter hopefully she gets better overnight.

leebca

We're on the same wavelength, right? I mean, you mention the spots and other posters keep writing about MI symptoms, but your fish have been cured of Mi weeks ago. There is something else. . . ?

I don't like a 'shotgun approach' but if you have Formalin, perform the formalin dips according to this post's guidelines: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...s/50755-formalin-treatment-marine-fishes.html

This usually cleans the fish of a variety of miscellaneous parasites, including some flukes. It's about the only other thing to try, if you haven't already.

cz08

We're on the same wavelength, right? I mean, you mention the spots and other posters keep writing about MI symptoms, but your fish have been cured of Mi weeks ago. There is something else. . . ?

I don't like a 'shotgun approach' but if you have Formalin, perform the formalin dips according to this post's guidelines: http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...s/50755-formalin-treatment-marine-fishes.html

This usually cleans the fish of a variety of miscellaneous parasites, including some flukes. It's about the only other thing to try, if you haven't already.

Thankyou very much Lee for the recommendation.

Good news shes doing great today she greeted me straight away and when I opened the lid she started to spit water at me lol

Maybe was just a bad day for her fed up in the wee QT and wants back into her bigger DT, not long to go another 4 weeks hopefully.

Will get my hands on Formalin just incase tho cheers again!

cz08

Well the clownfish and starry blenny are now in DT as of today.

Did some water changes,acclimatised the QT fish with the DT water. Doing ok so far.

Started with

2 1/2" Porc puffer
2x 3-4" Green spotted puffer
3" Majestic Angelfish
2" Coral Beauty
2" red stripe dwarf angel
1 1/2" Clownfish marroon orange/gold
2x Lawnmower Blenny 3 "
1x 2" Dragonet madarin red+green
3" Starry Blenny

Now only have the puffers, starry, majestic and clownfish.Rest passed away from combination of stress, not eating,genetic or some unknown disease.I read to wait 1 week to transfer 1/2 fish at a week ratio.I was thinking of adding in the majestic and 2gsps next and porcupine puffer last into the 120DT. I have had about 20hermits and giant hermit in there during the last 8 weeks feed them some mussles,prawns to keep biological filter system going. Is it safe to put in more fish at a time if I monitor the water chemistry?

leebca

Don't 'blow it' now. Go slowly. There are more bacteria in there than just those doing the biological filtration. Add back fish slowly as recommended. If you try to go too fast, and even if you monitor for ammonia and nitrities, it could be too late to save the fish. Why risk it now? Any poisons in the water due to rushing will just harm the fish, possibly kill them, or at least shorten their lifespan.

cz08

Don't 'blow it' now. Go slowly. There are more bacteria in there than just those doing the biological filtration. Add back fish slowly as recommended. If you try to go too fast, and even if you monitor for ammonia and nitrities, it could be too late to save the fish. Why risk it now? Any poisons in the water due to rushing will just harm the fish, possibly kill them, or at least shorten their lifespan.

Thankyou Lee. So stick to the 1fish per week rule?

cz08

My streak of bad luck continues. Woke up this morning and clownfish has been eaten in half!
Im guessing either something in water and kicked the bucket and the wee hermits ate his corpse.

The starry blenny seems fine, no heavy breathing, wierd movements.

Tested amm 0, nitrite 0 and nitrate 5.

Lee you mentioned some kind of poison in the water, how does this occur and what is the remedy?
Is it possible it would kill the clownfish and not the blenny and rest of the hermits?

What Iam most sad about is this clownfish was tough as nails, he wasnt eating at first for while in the QT and got fin rot.By the time the M2 came from the US he already recovered on his own and was eating ALOT put on some mass in the QT.He was tough wee bugger so Iam just shocked he would pass away so quickly in the DT.

There must some wierd poison going in there which affected him and not the rest. It could be shock of being in new system but I dont know about that since he was very tough wee guy.

Iam guessing water changes but just done 70% total divided into several on the 120g over the last week. Possibly some poison produced itself because the sand was not stirred for while?

2 1/2" Porc puffer
2x 3-4" Green spotted puffer
3" Majestic Angelfish
2" Coral Beauty
2" red stripe dwarf angel
2" bicolour angel
1 1/2" Clownfish marroon orange/gold
2x Lawnmower Blenny 3 "
1x 2" Dragonet madarin red+green
3" Starry Blenny

down to 3 puffer, blenny and majestic in last 2month.

leebca

Water changes will usually prove or dis-prove water quality ASSUMING the poison isn't in your salt, the mixing container/procedure, and/or the source water.

Different fishes are sensitive to different poisons and different levels of poisons. I would suspect the hermit crabs killing the fish before I would suspect poisons. Those crabs are notorious for growing beligerent over time, eating anything they can get their claws on and, killing fish that are sleeping (at night).

cz08

Water changes will usually prove or dis-prove water quality ASSUMING the poison isn't in your salt, the mixing container/procedure, and/or the source water.

Different fishes are sensitive to different poisons and different levels of poisons. I would suspect the hermit crabs killing the fish before I would suspect poisons. Those crabs are notorious for growing beligerent over time, eating anything they can get their claws on and, killing fish that are sleeping (at night).

Thanks again Lee for your post.

Yeah I dont think its the source water or salt as its the same source that Ive been using all this time in the QT and DT.I think I will remove the big hermit just incase before I transfer in the puffer but the big hermit has been in the DT with all the other fish before and never took any out.I doubt he can take out the 3 puffers but Iam concerned about the majestic so will place him back in once the majestic has put on bit of mass.

Cheers again.

cz08

Bad news, woke up to porcupine on the bottom not moving barely breathing.

Just passed away. Very odd as for last few weeks was eating a hell of alot, following my finger, very personable even last night. Although I did notice some white circle marks couple days ago and noticed couple whitespot yesterday.
Still shouldnt have passed so quickly but what can I do, very sad :(

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry to hear about your loss. I think it's a lot tougher when you lose the fish that interact with us the most. Hope things turn around for you.