1st 35gal Hex reef startup help please..

TripTheTrigger

What are best steps in starting the scape in 35gal hex? Currently LS, 1 piece LR & couple pieces of what I don't consider very ugly in unidentified coral (has rust colored flat mushrooms) that came 2nd hand. I want to transfer a clown & Dottyback in it, but want to add bubble anemone & read it kills fish other than clown. This is 1st reef tank & a bit nervous. Have 3 larger tanks stocked with LR & fish we are still learning with, so really could use help. Thanks!!

whippetguy

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
The rockscape is really more art than science. The usual advice is 1-1 1/2 pounds per gallon of water. I would do a google search of 35g hex tank and look at photos to get an idea of what others have done. As far as bubble anemone is concerned, if you can wait until your tank is more mature, the more likely you'll have success with one. They usually do better in tanks 6 months to a year old before adding them. Typically other fish will avoid them so as not to get stung. I have a huge one in my 65g and none of my other fish are bothered by it. Hope that helps some.

TripTheTrigger

Thanks! Yes, your reply helps. Didn't think about google search, but will do that :snshne: Do you think a 150g we added about a month ago that had been up a couple years would be old enough for bubble? We moved water, sand & filter media with it. I do have a picaso trigger in it & hope to add a puffer, so will they leave bubble alone?

Advice from a fellow reefer who has lost more money buying livestock than I care to ever admit; Slow down. The magic of a beautiful reef tank is truly in the process. It's natural (but impulsive and short-sided) to see nice display tanks with lots of mature coral colonies and fish swimming in and out coral structures to try and "buy" your way into success. This is a huge mistake. As you begin to read through archived threads here you will find a common thread of advice from most "everyone" with long term success is to make slow changes over time. Anyone can spends hundreds of dollars filling a tank with a short run of success. Also, please keep in mind the adult size of each fish species you plan to keep. 150 gallons seems large on your wall at home, but to a 10-12in plus fish…… Only my opinion, wish you great success!!

gbose

TriptheTrigger,

Two suggestions. (1) Whatever you do, keep the liverock away from the sides of the tank, or you'll never be able to clean it. I have brown blotches on the side of mine where I can't get to the algae (2) Too early for an anemone -- try after about a year.

GBose