150Watt VS 250Watt VS 400 Watt

Tosh_Auer

Ok i can pick up a 150,250 and 400 watt MH for roughly the same price as each other brand new and i was wondering if there was any reason given that i havn't designed or built my hood yet. that i wouldn't get the 400watt and make a higher hood, positioning the halide higher and therefore be able to use less halides then if i was to go 150. Have i missed something here or should i get the 400watt?

Tosh

Last edited:

Cougra

What size (LxWxD) tank do you have and do you plan on having extremely light demanding animals such as clams, SPS corals and anemones? If so the 400W bulbs would be a better option but the 250W ones may be enough.

Also another consideration you may wish to think about is the total running costs in electricity as well as replacing the bulbs. Which bulbs are easier for you to get?

Tosh_Auer

My tank is 5'x2'x2' roughly and no i wasn't planning on keeping clams but if i can i probly will. bulbs for all are easy enough to get hold of and 400watters are only slightly more expensive. Bourganaes i live in Australia so by the time i was to ship them and the exchange rate and buying a power inverter i am able to get them cheaper here. i was thinking about using a single 400watt and also some pc's. i know that for a tank 2 foot deep you never really need 400watt MH's but if i was to have the halide located a bit higher above the tank i was thinking it would help with heat issuse associated with halides and also stop there from being any or less "dark patches" in the tank. i havn't had much to do with sw tanks for a while now so i could be way off but that would allow me to keep most corals and anemones without too many problems would it not? clams are not too high up on my list of wants but some SPS would be nice. i know i might have to just bite the bullet and buy 2 halides but figures with some PC supplimentation i might be able to get away with one. whats your thoughts?

Tosh

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
You will need atleast 2 MH no mater which wattage you choose or you will have dark areas. Each MH bulb only spans 1' to either side (2' total area). If you only get one MH you'll have 3 ' of tank lit by PC's only.

Personally, I would go with 2 (or 3) 250 watters. JMO

Tosh_Auer

sorry jsut noticed i put 5' its 4' and was hoping that you only wouldn't be able to see the dark patches in the sides im really not that worried about not having light dependent creatures in the sides. I figured i was gonna get the response you gave but thought it cant hurt to try. seeing as i should get two and 400watters are not much more expensive is there a reason i shouldn't get 2 of them other then power consumption which isn't really an issue?

Tosh

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Well, 2 would be twice the heat. I am not certain how much hotter 400 watts are than 250 watts... but my 250 watters heat my 90 gallon up significantly. I use 2 canopy fans and one sump fan to keep the tank temp down. My lights are very close to the water surface; about 4".

You would do fine with one MH if that's what you want to do. Just keep the higher light loving corals near the light. :)

fugazi

i would also say 2 250w mh and maybe some vho actinic supplements. btw that is what i am using.

Tosh_Auer

VHO's are very difficult to get hold of in Aus thats why i was thinkign PC's instead. i think ill get a 250 and some pc's and when the wallet permits get another 250.

Tosh

Witfull

sounds like a plan,,,,

heres a hint on the bulbs,,,write the date you begin using them down, that way you know when the need changing.

Woodstock

RS STAFF
Tosh_Auer said:
ya get roughly a year from a bulb dont ya or is it 6 months?

12-14 months for single ended MH bulbs. Some people use them longer, some change them out sooner. Most replace them at one year.

I think the double ended MH bulbs don't last as long?