14gal BioCube 2.0 (with pics)

ChrisOaty

Alright folks. After my last tank had to be torn down over a year ago, the itch caught me and my fresh water 65 just wasn't cutting it any longer. So, I decided to dig out my old 14 gallon BioCube and make some major modifications to it.

The first thing I did was Tear out the rear black plastic divider which leaked anyway. I had a large 8" diameter pvc tube that I cut in half and siliconed to the back. Out of plastic mesh, i made a overflow grating that doubled as an algae turf scrubber. I used the stock pump to return water back into the display with eggcrate above that as a barrier for a large handful of cheato (thanks seabass!)
OverflowBack2.jpg
OverflowBack1.jpg

To the front (display side) of the overflow (which i meant to spray paint black, but completely forgot to) I siliconed small pieces of DIY rock I made via a mixture of portland cement, rock salt, and a little aggregate. This rock is EXTREMELY porous and even floats, providing excelent surface area and more than enough filtration power. As you can see, i also had fun making a couple other shapes including a cave (which looks a little too uniform on the inside IMO) and a loop.
OverflowRightSide.jpg
OverflowLeftSide.jpg

The cycle was long and drawn out as pretty much everything in here was dead, including the sand. A tiny piece of raw salmon was placed in there to begin the cycle. I monitored ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH, alk, and calcium levels for almost a month. Taking readings almost every other day. For the past week, everything reads 0 and calcium sits at about 460, ph 8.2.

Earlier today I ordered a cleanup crew from reefcleaners.org, and threw Goober in. Within hours he was eating pellets and poking in and out of his new home. I also ordered 5 royal blue and20 4 cool white cree LEDs and a powersupply from rapidled.com (i have a heatsink, thermal paste, tap, and wiring already). This will allow me to keep even the most light-hungry critters and corals while keeping heat levels under control under the southern california heat.
FTS.jpg
RightSide.jpg

I popped in a chunk of liverock with a ton of coraline on it to kick start the coraline growth as I understand it doesn't take to DIY rock all that well and found a few red feather dusters and this guy. I'm not exactly sure what it is, but there's another smaller one just like it and seems to be slowly moving around. It's my understanding that coral doesn't really move around, but anemones do. The picture's colors are a bit off (camera phone) but the tips of the appendages are a orange/pinkish color. Can someone please identify this for me?
BabyRBTA.jpg

ChrisOaty

The perfect amount! Thank you seabass, your cheato was an integral part of my water's quality after cycling!

ChrisOaty

Just received confirmation of shipment from rapidled! Kinda excited. On a different note, can nobody identify what's on my rock in the last picture of the first post?

ChrisOaty

Just installed a DIY light fixture to the back of the cube to light the ATS/fuge area. Should be good enough for now until I build or buy a low wattage/heat/profile led array against the glass. Forgot to mention, the ATS has 36 square inches of surface area providing ample nitrate-fixing power for this size tank. I'll upload pictures of the fuge light tomorrow. With any luck, my package from rapidled.com will have arrived at my door too and I can build my array.

Last edited:

ChrisOaty

Hi Folks!

I've been a busy little bee laterly. In the past week and a half, my ReefCleaners and RapidLed shipments have come in. My tank has been stable for a while now and all traces of cyano and nuisance algae are a thing of the past. My ATS is slow to develop i think because the bioload isn't huge and my cheato is taking care of most of the nitrate production. The photos came out way too blue and I think it's because of the cheap camera phone I'm using. The color temperature is probably somewhere between 1200-1400k and consists of 5 royal blue and 4 cool white cree xr-e leds running at 700mA.
RapidLed.jpg
CompletedHood.jpg
FTS.jpg
LEDFTS.jpg

This past weekend I decided to stop by San Clemente and attend Marine Aquarium Expo. Since I now have a legit 3 watt led fixture up and running, I decided to jump into the SPS world. Here's some pictures of what I purchased. I think I got a killer deal as I went on Sunday (last day of the convention). I spent about $50 bucks for all this from a few different vendors. I'm unsure (can't remember) of the names of any of the SPS frags except i know the pointy one is some type of birds nest and the flat yellow one is a scroll coral. If you have ideas for an ID, please chime in.
Zoanthids.jpg
YellowScroll.jpg
SPS5.jpg
SPS4.jpg
SPS3.jpg
SPS2.jpg
SPS1.jpg

I'm new to the SPS world, but Ive been reading up a lot on lighting requirements, nutrient, flow, etc. The only parameter I need to adjust so far is my KH (7). I've been poking around and since my Ca level is fine (460ish) and my pH is good (8.2), I'll be dosing a quarter teaspoon of baking soda mixed with RO water for top off daily until I hit my goal of 11-12. I used an online calculator that states its going to take about 1.5 teaspoons total to get my desired KH...but of course, I'll be using the bump method over 6 days to achieve that. As for nutrients, I've read a few articles that says if you top off with dechlorinated tap water and have a decent bioload (fish poop), I'll have a good source of trace elements in my water for the SPS. My flow right now is about 20X water volume, so I might be upgrading my pump in the near future if I don't get the results I'm looking for. A couple of the frags are beginning to pale, but most of them are doing very well. I'll give it a few days. Perhaps the increase in KH is all they need. Any and all advice/criticism is welcomed and encouraged. Thanks for looking folks!

ChrisOaty

Thank you! Your tank looks great too. Good size to kick off a reef. DIY led setups have become very cheap to build. I'm going to be building another LED array for my 65 this summer. It'll consist of 2 pannels (5.9"X9" drilled/tapped heatsinks) with 48 LEDs (24 XP-G cool white, 24 XR-E royal blue), driven by 4 Meanwell ELN-60-48Ds. I'll throw dimmers on them and control the blues and whites separately. Priced out, it'll cost me a little less than 500 bucks. Much less if I practice patience and get all my LEDs from DX (china shipping).

ChrisOaty

Actually, I just priced what I needed on DX...came out to about $300...quite the extreme deal...That gets me more par than 2 250 watt MH pendants, none of the heat, customizable color and dimming, lower profile, and much less power consumption. =]

GlassMunky

my guess on the coral ID's in order: Zoa's....Scroll.......Green Birdsnest......Pocilipora??......Acro(echinata?)......Some other Acro......Pink Birdsnest

ChrisOaty

-Cindy-
Thanks! All of the rocks i used were homemade from rock salt, portland cement a little bit of aggregate and water. There are so many things one can do to shape it. Completely reef safe after a long soak and it saves the wild reefs by not promoting harvesting =]

-GlassMunky-
If my memory serves me, that sounds about right. For whatever reason, the corals in the 5th and 6th pictures didn't make it. Not sure why as my parameters are perfect and the acclimation process was lengthy. The rest of them look fantastic, good polyp extension too. Hopefully they'll brighten up under the LEDs. I went to the LFS to pick up Iodion and Magnesion by Brightwell and will begin dosing conservatively once my test kits for them come in.

Rhodes19

Nice build Chris. :) Any up date pics? I'm curious, how did you make your LED system? I'd like to switch to LED at some point.

ChrisOaty

Hi! wow It is about time to update. The tank has changed a whole lot and is doing wonderfully. I'll post some pictures tomorrow! Tonight, I'm going to sleep early.

ChrisOaty

First update...plumbing.
I drilled the back and installed a herbie overflow that drops (for now) into a 5 gallon bucket in the cabinet.
IMG_20110528_082645.jpg
IMG_20110528_082630.jpg

IMG_20110528_082621.jpg
IMG_20110619_230903.jpg

Took out all of the DIY rock and put added some liverock i'd been soaking for a month or so. Couple weeks later I also added some inhabitants =]
IMG_20110619_165311.jpg
IMG_20110625_110105.jpg

IMG_20110619_162637.jpg
IMG_20110626_124807.jpg