130D bulbs - better?

jackpe

Are the 130D bulbs appreciably better than the one with the original RSM? I wondered if it's worth upgrading..

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Yes for sure... from all I have read... much better !!! If I remember right... it was something like 10-20% better... all the new 130 - 130-D bulbs... are upgraded ones now... also if I remember right, all the packages for the new bulbs have color on them...

jackpe

I have read they are better too but not seen anyone who has actually measured this supposed improvement or been able to compare them with the old bulbs... anyone have direct experience of the difference? have yopur corals colored up more since you had the new bulbs?

dmyers557

They are better, but if your going to upgrade, you might as well go metal halide if better lighting is what your looking for. That little better you get from the 130d stock bulbs is not going to let you keep the sps you want. That is, if sps corals are what your wanting to keep. Plus with metal halides, you get amazing shimmer and the tank seriously looks 10 times better.

jackpe

I have the SPS already,and they havesome color although I'm sure it could be improved.. but the issue is more I was interested if the new bulbs, whilsgt being the same wattage were really measurably better or if it was just marketing crap..

steveh

The new lamps offer a significant increase in the effective light utilised by corals. The PAR has been increased and the useful part of the lamp's light emissions are now closer to that of a 65watt rather than the 55w they actually are. Therefore in real rough speak you could say that the lamps give the difference between 110w & 130w of lighting (another 15-20%). Any lighting of this type should be replaced approx every 9 months to ensure the inevitable drop in output does not affect livestock.

mattr69

What is different between 130 and 130D lighting? Have they changed the reflector, tubes or spash guard?

mattr69

What is different between 130 and 130D lighting? Have they changed the reflector, tubes or spash guard?

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums/red-sea-max-owners-club/41918-rsm-lifespan-3.html

The MAX lamps are made specifically for us, to our specification based on extensive testing. They are 55watt and are shorter than standard length 55w lamps (which will not fit easily into a Max). The PAR has been increased not by increasing wattage or by changing the reflectors, although the 130D reflector is longer). Therefore anyone with a RSM130 who is replacing their lamps will get the higher PAR lamps which are supplied with the 130D as standard.

poo417

Nothing has changed in the hoods. All the new bulbs that can be bought should be the higher par output.