130 LED Mod

hobiej

Well, I took the plunge and got a XR30W Gen2... absolutely the coolest light I have ever seen!!!! Works like a top and I'm really happy with it. And I took a whole bunch of pics and now I noticed that I can't post pics.... Is it just cause I have only posted a few times?

I will give a small explanation.... It was very easy, and the only thing I did damage to.... Was a small hole for the cord to come out of!! Lol.

I removed the lid, took out the screws, removed the ballast and the sockets, had to lay the relay on its side so it would hit the LED light. Now I saw people say they didn't trust Velcro to hold that really fancy light up... So I used some stuff called DuraLock, it's like a plastic Velcro and works awesome. If you don't have that then you'll have to find whatever makes you feel comfortable with. Even if it lets go it can't fall into the water since the light is bigger than the opening, and.... There is a nice clear plastic lens to hold it back.

When I am able to post pics I will update this post.

I'm sure there are a few posts about this, but I figured I would throw this up anyway in case they are buried to deep....

Thx

Jeff

SunandOcean

Cool hobiej, I am currently working on the similar kind of modification in my 130. Thanks for the nice time on DuraLock, will check that out.
Hopefully you can post some pics on the mod & the tank setup!

myrick

with mine i drilled 4 holes in the lid used some rubber washers and bolted the light to the lid.

hobiej

I ordered some from a web site.... And I'm drawing a blank. I actually got it for holding my batteries in my RC boat cause regular Velcro didn't like the water.
I will find out where the stuff is avail and post it for you.

hobiej

with mine i drilled 4 holes in the lid used some rubber washers and bolted the light to the lid.
I was going to do that except I was thinking if I ever wanted to sell it or something crazy like that, it might not go over so well with a new owner that didn't have that light.....? Or something like that. And, I will be honest, I wasn't sure I'd be able to line all the holes properly and would have made a mess. Lol

myrick

I was going to do that except I was thinking if I ever wanted to sell it or something crazy like that, it might not go over so well with a new owner that didn't have that light.....? Or something like that. And, I will be honest, I wasn't sure I'd be able to line all the holes properly and would have made a mess. Lol

it was simple
i took a piece of paper cut it down to the size of the radion punched some holes where the bolts attached taped it to my hood and drilled through the holes i made.

jrbass

have any Pics of this install yet? really wanting to go to some leds and looking at all options.

hobiej

it was simple
i took a piece of paper cut it down to the size of the radion punched some holes where the bolts attached taped it to my hood and drilled through the holes i made.
Well look at you thinking outside the box! Yes, that is very simple, I can't believe I didn't think of that!!!
If the DuraLock ever gives out I will totally be screwing it up.
Thank for the tip

hobiej

have any Pics of this install yet? really wanting to go to some leds and looking at all options.
It's still not letting me post pics yet, maybe I need to post 5 separate threads in order to post pics, cause I'm at 8 or 9 already......?
The hardest part was getting the screw covers off in order to unscrew the two parts. Other than that it just fits in there perfectly.
And I was really worried about heat.... Even before I got the stock fans turned back on, everything was just lightly warm! It's just a perfect fit all around.
And I am soooooo happy with the LED!! It's awesome to not have the snap of no light or lots depending on the time of day. I think it just makes everyone happy that everything is gradual and not quick like with regular lighting.

As soon as I can post, the pics will be up here

SunandOcean

I think I will stick with industrial velcro. Also I am planning to use the Transparent Lens, so it has extra protection.
I am little worried about the heat too. Do you guys use the Transparent Lens over the Radions?

hobiej

I think I will stick with industrial velcro. Also I am planning to use the Transparent Lens, so it has extra protection.
I am little worried about the heat too. Do you guys use the Transparent Lens over the Radions?
Don't worry about the heat!!! AT ALL!! I didn't have the fans running for the first two days, lights at 75%, and it's just warm to the touch, no more. And that's with the protective lens on the hood. I didn't want any extra moisture or salt to get on that fancy light!!!
And yes, it's totally stock, only thing I switched was the ballast and reflector for the new LED's. Once I hooked up the stock fans, it's cool all day long.

Last edited:

SunandOcean

I figured between the 3 stock fans & the Radion fan, the hood should cool down.
May be I will keep tabs on the temp in the hood for couple of days.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
are you uploading pics to photobucket? if so just right click on the pic, copy the url & paste it in this syntax

if I am guessing... you are trying to upload to the RS host & it's easy to not work if you do it a bit wrong...

http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html

myrick

i am using no fans(other than the one that comes with the light) as i completely gutted the hood and there are no heat issues but i am only running my lights at 35%