120G Slow Build.....

Adam Black

Let's just start this one off with a little pic of the tank at the old owners house....
120G-1.jpg

The tank is a 120g LeeMar 48x24x24. It has polished edges with a trapezoid Overflow made out of black acrylic. I bought the tank last week for a very decent price and it has sat in my garage for a week with about 10g of water and a gallon of vinegar to break down the hard water spots. Today me and my uncle( http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...-my-90g-braceless-framless-tank-36x24x24.html) built a stand. Well most of the frame. We ran out of wood screws. Anyhow here's a few pics....
IMG_1795-1.jpg

IMG_1796-1.jpg

Lighting....
Lighting will be 2-250w MH and 4 vho super actinic bulbs.
I'm kind of torn between a few ballasts at the moment. Galaxy, IC, Coralvue, PFO. I'm a cheapskate so when I see a used setup I like I'll just jump on it. Definately would like to go with a wide spread reflector like Lumenarc, lumenbright, Etc. I got a brand new IC 660 and endcaps for christmas so that's covered. MH bulbs will be Hamilton 14k's unless someone has any other recommendation. Lighting will be suspender from the ceiling and I'll have a false canopy to block most of the light from leaving the tank.

Return pump...
I have a Eheim 1262 that I got used in a deal that I'll probably use till I can afford to buy something with a little more GPH. Thoughts on this pump or another would be greatly appreciated. I plan on having a little manifold powering my 2LF,Calcium reactor,Refugium.

Sump....
40g Breeder with 3 sections. Skimmer,return and fuge.tank will drain into the skimmer section into a filter sock.

Skimmer....
Octopus Extreme 200.

Water movement will be 2 maxi jet mods 2200. If I have enough pressure left in the Ehiem then I'll be adding a flow accelerator. Does anyone know if this pump will be able to handles this?

I think that's it for now. I would love to hear everyone's opinion. Maybe some pics of everyone's favorite stand too so I can get a few ideas.Thanks

Mya

Looking good. Good start to a good chronicle.

PS.. check the pump specs on there webby and my favorite stand is MY stand! Har Har!

Adam Black

Looking good. Good start to a good chronicle.

PS.. check the pump specs on there webby and my favorite stand is MY stand! Har Har!

Thanks for the quick reply MYA. I just found a flow chart and it looks like at 5 feet of head I'll be a 600gph. I don't think I'll have any to spare after that. So now I'm on the hunt for another pump. Anyone want to trade for a bigger pump? Mya can you post a link to the stand you have? Thanks

morbius18

Do you have the MJ yet? I dont have any experience with the modded ones, but I'll be tagging along to learn.

Adam Black

Do you have the MJ yet? I dont have any experience with the modded ones, but I'll be tagging along to learn.

I have 2 MJ mods in my 65g right now. My only problem is there loud, but I've heard once you get the magnet mount it will quite down. Great flow though.

Adam Black

Just a little update.....

Just finished screwing the frame together and was able to put a few coats of white paint over it. Not to bad for my first!
IMG_1797.jpg

IMG_1798.jpg

I'm going to face it next week!

Brand new 660 with 4 sets of Vho endcaps....
IMG_1801.jpg

IMG_1802.jpg

Man I love the look of super actinic bulbs:D

Cleaned the 1262 tonight also. Needs a vinegar bath still.....
IMG_1803.jpg

I've been losing sleep thinking about what return pump to use and finally decided on the 1262. I'm not going to worry about main tank flow with the 1262. As long as there's water getting to the 120g I'll be fine. I just need enough pressure to run a calcium reactor,fuge flow, 2little fishes x2, and later a UV sterilizer. If I need more flow in the display I'll add another MJ. This pump will save me some cash on my electric bill.

Question....

I need an Idea of what everyone is using for there light racks? I had something in mind but don't have 200.00 to blow on a rack.Here's my something in mind....
Assembled-Frame.jpg

Wouldn't mind using some type of metal/stainless/wood/plastic. I will be watching closely for reply's. Thanks

Adam

Varga

I just know this one is going to be a super tank.

Did you already buy the 250 Halides? I totally regret not going with the 400's! I mean 250 is great but every time I see a tank with 2 or 3 400w bulbs, its just something else.

Adam Black

I just know this one is going to be a super tank.

Did you already buy the 250 Halides? I totally regret not going with the 400's! I mean 250 is great but every time I see a tank with 2 or 3 400w bulbs, its just something else.

Thanks Varga, I hope it will be a super tank! 400 would be nice but need to keep the electric under 250.00 in the summer.