12 gallon journey

NanoMano999

Hello everyone after a long period of time i decided to pick up a nano and give it a go. might be tough starting back up so small but i think ill manage just fine hope everyone gets to follow this and i get feedback on anything that anyone thinks might help.
well to start off with i chose the JBJ 12 gallon DX model , seemed like it would be fine as i am not interested in clams or sps at the moment. squishing the first 3 weeks into one post i ordered and recieved my package, it came wonderfully packed and was actually larger than i had imagined. a costly trip to the LFS for 10 lbs live sand 12 lbs live rock and 10 gallons of ocean water and i was on my way home to start a cycle. here is a pic of the tank after i got it set up and filtering

Attachments

• securedownload[1].jpg
    securedownload[1].jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 50

NanoMano999

So like i said three weeks in the first post day now we will assume its been 2 weeks and the nitrification cycle completed let it sit for a few days and slowly started adding some life here was my first little friend the smallest 6 line wrasse i have ever seen in a store. tough to get a clean picture of him

Attachments

• rrr.JPG
    rrr.JPG
    50 KB · Views: 51
  • ssss.JPG
    ssss.JPG
    49.2 KB · Views: 51

NanoMano999

ok so now its getting fun i left the wrasse in for a week and got no chem spikes so hey lets see what we can dig up at the LFS. Still a little leary of coral i stuck with a few little fish but man did i get a beauty this little catalina goby is stunning and he has the personality to boot, also picked up a YCG ( my daughters pick) and some CuC more crabs mainly here are some pics

Attachments

• 333.JPG
    333.JPG
    40.2 KB · Views: 49
  • tttt.JPG
    tttt.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 49

NanoMano999

ok so i only made it 2 days with the fish and i headed to the lfs for at least one frag to see how it does cant go wrong with some polyps and they seem to be doing well here is a coral shot and a FTS as it sits now i will try to update weekly or at least when i get new things in the tank

Attachments

• 888.JPG
    888.JPG
    49.8 KB · Views: 50
  • ggerg.JPG
    ggerg.JPG
    49.1 KB · Views: 48
  • trrrr.JPG
    trrrr.JPG
    49.5 KB · Views: 49

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Nice pics - the catalina goby is stunning, great start on the new nano !

Welcome and nice pics! The problem with the catalina goby was that they are a cold water species. They won't last long in a tropical reef aquarium. So unless you plan on doing a cold water tank, don't buy a catalina goby.

NanoMano999

ive had him for about 2 weeks now and i see nothing wrong yet tank sits at about 77 and he is chalked full of life and personality ill update if i see any other findings

NanoMano999

Ok so went to the local fish store yesterday and picked up a few things loads of pictures contents are now: 1 six line wrasse, 1 catalina goby, 1 cleaner shrimp, 1 cleaner clam, 1 emerald crab, 6-10 hermit crabs, 2 nassarius snails, and 1 turbo snail

all sits on 10 lbs livesand, 12 lbs liverock, tank remains stock with no upgrades yet

got a few new coral frags to a mushiee rock a solo shroom and some GSP
here is the new frags and livestock

Attachments

• gspclose.JPG
    gspclose.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 32
  • gspside.JPG
    gspside.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 32
  • redshroom.JPG
    redshroom.JPG
    48.7 KB · Views: 32
  • new shrooms.JPG
    new shrooms.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 32
  • scrimp.JPG
    scrimp.JPG
    47.8 KB · Views: 32

NanoMano999

and heres the old polyps i got they are doing great now

Attachments

• polyp front.JPG
    polyp front.JPG
    48.6 KB · Views: 32
  • polypside.JPG
    polypside.JPG
    46.8 KB · Views: 32

NanoMano999

and to finish off this update here is new FT shots ill update again next week or when i get something new thanks for looking

Attachments

• left.JPG
    left.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 31
  • front.JPG
    front.JPG
    49.6 KB · Views: 31
  • right.JPG
    right.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 31

DaveK

Ok so went to the local fish store yesterday and picked up a few things... 1 catalina goby, ...

While a lovely fish, catalina gobies are a cold water fish and should be kept in tanks at 65 - 70 F. This is far colder than we maintain our reef tanks. In the long term these fish do not do well at tropical temps. I recommend that you return it to your LFS.

I know it sucks about catalina gobies. They are such pretty little fish. The only way to house one long term is to set up a cold water tank. Fish stores really shouldn't sell them without making sure that the buyer knows they are a cold water species and need a cold water tank to thrive.

NanoMano999

Yes it does suck and it looks like im out for a new LFS and im stuck with the goby, after he told me when i bought it he didnt know much about them now they are saying there is nothing wrong with the fish and i dont need to bring it back and i will have to deal with his short life span:( . so i am stuck with him for the moment and will still update on how he is doing, wich is great at the moment