12 gallon HQI Nano

aquaman_06

Well I finally broke down and got one of these Current Aqua-Pod 12 gallon nano's. After all the sweet nano displays at Macna I just had to have one. It seems like a well constructed unit, the filtration module in the back is nice and the SunPaq lamp is pretty sweet.

Anyhow I used all the standard filtration media, the foam, carbon, and ceramic rings. I used 12 gallons of water from my large reef tank to fill the nano and used carib-sea live aragonite sand as the substrate. I have a 10 gallon aquarium full of live rock from other tanks, etc so I used that live rock to supply rock for the nano.

My question is this, being that I have used water from a mature reef tank, well cycled live rock that I have had for a while and live sand should the tank cycle much if any at all. You would think the live rock alone would bring enough bio-filtration for the tank. Do you think it's safe to add any fish, corals, etc? I only have the live rock and some caulpora from my refuge in there now.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
No don't add anything... test to track and verify that you did indeed have a cycle. It will probably be shorter than normal but I would imagine you will have a cycle and you need to be able to look back and say (at your test results) "Yes here is where it started and alas here is where it completed and ALL my parameters are in check!"

I would remove the ceramic rings NOW before they become colonized with your good bacteria. It's VERY common (and most Nano manufacturers note this in the instructions now) to not use bio-balls or ceramic rings in a REEF tank. Your live rock and live sand will be your bio-filtration and the cermaic rings can and will become a Nitrate Factory in a few weeks or so. Then if you remove them then you'll start another cycle going.

Allen :)

aquaman_06

BTW,

what's your guys take on using a skimmer in a nano tank. I was going to try to jam an HOB on there but then again it's not really small and contained once you start tinkering like that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I think it's an excellent idea especially if you're going to do a REEF tank. Look online as many companies are now making quality and specific skimmers for these nano tanks. They aren't cheap but many are quality units. Stay away from those fission (or is it fusion) ones.

A skimmer is a MUST have for pristine water.

Allen :)

aquaman_06

I think I can get my old AquaC Remora on this nano. It looks like if I pulled the foam block the maxi-jet would slide right in. It might be overkill but heck...

aquaman_06

Hey Guys,

I was able to easily fit my old AquaC Remora w/ Maxi-Jet 1200 onto the aquapod. I think that will make for a good skimmer on this tank. It's rated for up to 75 gallon and added some water volume to the tank in addition to skimming.

Anyhow I have been testing the tank since I set it up on Wednesday. The nitrates are holding steady at 25 ppm - nitrite 0, ammonia 0. Alkalinity is a little low at about 100 ppm and I haven't tested calcium yet. I am using some marine buffer and Purple Up to balance out the alk/cal. Ph is about 8.28 on my pinpoint probe. I want to move a clam over from my main aquarium and wondered, since I haven't detected a cycle yet if I could do that.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Woa buddy. Slow down just a tad....

Don't add any more Purple Up until you get a cycle and you test your calc. I wouldn't really be worrying about those until after you get the cycle behind you. I imagine you'll see SOME cycle and you really NEED to push it to make sure it happens. I'd toss a Deli Shrimp in there inside of a mesh media bag or stocking to really "Feed" the cycle. The sooner you push it and see it the sooner it will be over.

No don't move a clam over. you really need to have stable conditions before you do that. That's really pushing it and will probably cause the demise of the clam ultimately.

Have you calibrated the PH probe lately?

Go easy on your additives and dosing until this tank is ready for all the "good stuff". Right now you need to fully focus on the basics (NH3, NO2, NO3, PH. SG, and Temp). Then once you see the cycle complete we do your clean up crew, watch the parameters and add some other critters nice and easy. With only 12 gallons (+/-+ depending on rock, sand and the small volume the skimmer adds) your tank can fluctuate wildly and easily. So let's take it easy and get it to a good base/starting point and slowly work our way up. It will be WELL worth the patience and efforts especially with that kicka$$ light kit.

A.

aquaman_06

Al,

Thanks for the info, I'll toss a cocktail shrimp in tonight to try to encourage a cycle. I have been adding some Mysis shrimp into the tank, to encourage nutrient build up and cycling, since I always have a little left over after a morning feeding on my large reef tank. I'll keep monitoring NO3 NH3 and the main parameters. I calibrated my ph probe on monday.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Sounds like you're doing things right buddy. I just got a little concerned when I saw the dosing stuff and then the question about the clam.

I think you're going to have an AMAZING tank when you get everything stable and running.

A.