12” Powerbrite LED Lighting Systems

rdz1

I see in petsolution.com is selling these claiming they make the water shimmer like halides without the heat. Anybody out there have them yet and how do you like them.

michael_cb_125

I have them. They would make good moon-lights. I got them to light up a 2 gallon tank. It just does not cut it. I figure for 20 GALLON tank you would need to cover the tank front to back to get enough brightness to grow coral. .And that would cost more than a good lighting fixture. I am using two of them to light the inside of my cabinet.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Jack's right. They cast a nice "smooth" glow and YES they do make a "Shimmer" but that's it! It's for your viewing pleasures only and NOTHING more! these LEDS are nothing like the LEDs used in Solaris lights. But they DO cast a very cool shimmer when it's JUST them on. Once you turn on the "other" lights they "shimmer" is over powered. Worth the night time look though :)

One of the main coral display tanks (240?) at one of the local LFS's has 8 of these strips (blue) used as moon lights. I saw it earlier today, and it looks pretty good...especially for the price.

aquaticimports

Has been struck by the ban stick
Nice to see more charlestionians on here! LED's are great but unless its solaris they will just be accent lighting.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
aquaticimports is exactly right. The key here was "For the Price". Trust me when I say, "You'll pay dearly for high intensity LED lighting!" Even the individual H/I LEDs are exponentially more expensive than standard LEDs. The good news is that standard LED's do give an AWESOME "enhancement" and great shimmer when they aren't over powered by other lights. I LOVE walking into my living room at night and seeing all 3 tanks lit up with LED moonlights. Very cool indeed.

:)