1 or 2 clowns

Blndbunny

Hey everyone, I'd like some opinions. One of my local reefers has some beautiful baby snowflake clowns at a good price (1 for $40, a pair for $75) I need opinions on if I should get one or go ahead with getting a pair.

They will be going into my nuvo 16, the tank has just finished it cycle early last week, it's been set up for nearly a month. Amm, trites, are 0 and my nitrates are almost 0

If I get the pair they will likely be all I put in the tank, I may add a small goby later on. Tis tank is in my sewing room/office where I spend most of my day, so I want the tank to be fun to watch. I know clowns have plenty of personality.

In my other tank I have one black occy, and have had very few aggression problems, she like to charge my husband but is fine with me.

I do not plan to put an anemone in this tank, would that be unfair if I do a pair? Or will they likely just choose a coral to host like my other one?

Thank you everyone for your opinions

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
i always recommend clowns in pairs. Single clowns even mixed with other fish, just dont seem as energetic and friendly imho. I've also been told, though i cannot confirm it, that solo clowns dont live as long. Ive had a tank with a single clown. Little orange demon bit me everytime i touched the water. So i added another osc clown, and his aggression disapeard overnight. They swim together, play together, Eat out of my hand without biting me. For snow flakes, that price is amazing. Buy a pair and send em to me LOL>

Blndbunny

My single is a little aggressive. I've had her for 2 years now, and most of her aggression is towards my husband! Interesting on the shorter life span, I will need to research that a bit

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
as i said, i cannot prove or disprove it. Ive just heard it. But i can tell you, a solo clown turns mean. Mine bit me if i touched the water, but never bit my wife once. Once i added a 2nd clown, they are docile as can be, even friendly. I always recommend pairs.

modulok

I have a single Pink Skunk and she is very docile and skidish. She is finally learning to hide in her anemone when the Bicolor Blenny chases her around.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
I love reading these threads while I wait for my RSM250 tank to complete it's cycle. I want TWO clowns :)

ddelozier

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Im with ya Dianakay, I've got a 180 cycling. I have one pair of clowns(in my 65 holding tank, not in the 180), but im hoping with a tank that big, to be able to safely keep a pair of black osc clowns too.

degibson84

I went with a pair of Tank Raised Percs and the larger is always attacking the smaller. I watched the large clown shred the small ones fins. If i had to do it over I would have only gone with one

DaveK

It is nice to add clowns in pairs, if they tolerate each other. However 2 clowns in a 16 gal tank is asking a lot of that tank. By the time you add live rock, you'll be down to about 12 gal of water, and the fish need some room to grow.

I'm not saying you can't do it, but I sure wouldn't add any additional fish, and do plan for a larger home for them when they get a lot bigger.