Search results

1. DaveR11

Refractometers and salinity

I had lost a couple of Acros recently and wanted to check my parameters and I had worred my salinity might be off. So on visiting a new LFS today I got another refractometer to compare with mine. I keep my DT and QTs at 35 ppt with the temperature at between 25 and 26 centigrade. My original...
  2. DaveR11

Great Barrier Reef on TV

Not sure if you can watch BBC I-Player outside the UK but here is a link to Attenborough's latest natural history programme..... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b06t4j41/great-barrier-reef-with-david-attenborough-episode-1
  3. DaveR11

Spotted something else...

Spotted this under one of my Zoanthid colonies... Hydroid perhaps...?
  4. DaveR11

Pinched mantle disease?

My Maxima has been suffering from pyramid snails for a couple of weeks now. I've been checking her every couple of days and removing any snails I find. She seemed to be looking better and then I went away for a few days. I got back today to find her looking like this. I've read a couple of...
  5. DaveR11

White threads on my new Acro

Anyone idea on what these white threads might be on my new Acro frag?
  6. DaveR11

New snail - Rissoid?

Spotted this little snail on the outer shell of my clam. Is it a Rissoid HH or a baby Cerith snail (I have adults) or something more sinister....
  7. DaveR11

Slugs number 4

Spotted some bleaching on my superman monti, Montipora danae but couldn't see anything munching on the coral but thought I would give it a go with my trusty pipette, bane of the Zoanthid slugs, and caught these three little devils. I presume these are the culprits.... I seem to be some...
  8. DaveR11

Crab on my new acro

Just got 3 acros today via mail order and after acclimatising them and setting them on the sand I spotted this little fellow. I'm hoping is is a nice Acro crab..... Thoughts please. Hopefully I will get some better pictures as it gets more comfortable in the tank.
  9. DaveR11

Max S LED upgrades available to order.....

Hi All, Just spotted this one one of my LFSs Facebook page..... https://www.facebook.com/158907790807841/photos/a.178886762143277.39845.158907790807841/1092987607399850/?type=3&theater
  10. DaveR11

Clam rocking

I've had my lovely clam now for a couple of weeks. She has attached to a rock and I've moved her up from the sand. She seems happy and is opening well and reacts quickly to light changes and shadows. My question is this. I was watching the tank and saw the clam rock forward and back (so...
  11. DaveR11

Captive bred yellow tangs

One of my LFSs pasted this on their Facebook page and my other LFS told me about it..... http://reefbuilders.com/2015/10/20/yellow-tangs-finally-captive-bred-oceanic-institute/
  12. DaveR11

Max E-Series for 2016 release?

One of my LFSs has just posted this on their Facebook page after returning from a UK trade show.... https://www.facebook.com/H2O-Aquatics-158907790807841/ https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1078043918894219&id=158907790807841
  13. DaveR11

S-Max covering

I've been pondering keeping a wrasse and I'm concerned about it jumping out of my S-650 so I was wondering what, if anything other S-Max owners with fish with a tendency to jump have done to stop their fish going carpet surfing? Here in the UK you can get DIY mesh and frame covers that you cut...
  14. DaveR11

Ich - is it cured?

I had Ich in my Red Sea 650. I managed to catch the fish and transfer them to another 400L tank I set up as a QT/hospital aquarium where I treated them with Cupramine as per the directions on the bottle. The fish had the specified 2 weeks of treatment. I'm now 2 weeks past the end of the...
  15. DaveR11

Too many in the clean-up crew...?

My tank is now 4 months old. It is a Red Sea S-650 and my clean-up crew consists of the following: 6 red-legged hermit crabs 4 large black footed Trochus snails (down from 6) plus hundreds of babies 1 Large Mexican Turbo snail 5 Nassarius snails (down from 6) 1 Peppermint shrimp 5 Astraea...
  16. DaveR11

A worm (just not the one I want to photograph)

I keep seeing a polychaete poking out of one of my Zoanthid rocks but have not been able to get either a good look at it or a decent photograph. It is quick though so I'm a little worried it is a Eunicid. However I did get a decent photo of this worm which lives under my GPS rock which I'm...
  17. DaveR11

I'm spending too much time staring at the tank - a hydroid?

Whilst looking for Zoa eating nudibranchs I spotted this. A hydroid?
  18. DaveR11

Hogging the HH thread - reappearance of the worm.....

I've seen this beast once before and posted a very poor picture on here. This morning I caught it. It was moving across a rock and I got it with my pipette. It is now in a bowl in the sump. My thought is a Nemertean worm.... It is around 60-80mm long.
  19. DaveR11

Black Stomatella snail?

Is this just a black version of a Stomatella snail?
  20. DaveR11

And in the sump today....

Rummaging around in the sump this morning I spotted 3 more small Stomatella snails, which promptly went up into the DT. I guess some of those eggs must have made it.... Anyway I also have lots of these developing which I presume is some sort of sponge. The biggest are around 6-7mm long...