Ich - is it cured?

DaveR11

I had Ich in my Red Sea 650. I managed to catch the fish and transfer them to another 400L tank I set up as a QT/hospital aquarium where I treated them with Cupramine as per the directions on the bottle. The fish had the specified 2 weeks of treatment. I'm now 2 weeks past the end of the treatment. I've done 3 water changes of 40L each and added carbon to the filters as per Seachem's advice. I'm seeing no spots on the remaining fish, there is no flashing against the plastic pipes in the tank and they are now all eating well.

My concern is has the treatment actually worked? My worry is over my yellow tang. It is still breathing more quickly, akin to gill rates in the advice on Ich. I've looked at gill movement rates at yellow tangs in a couple of LFSs and mine is breathing quickly. The other fish in the QT are more difficult to assess - the Chromis are so quick swimming and the black Ocellaris clown I just can't see the gill movements on its body. So do I still have a problem or has the tang suffered some gill damage as a result of the Ich or is it a reaction to there still being some residual copper in the water (measured at 0.1mg/L last weekend).

Thoughts welcomed....

DaveK

For the ich to die in the display tank, due to lack of a host, you typically need 8 to 12 weeks.

I would keep your fish in the quarantine tank but with out any more treatment, unless you see the disease come back. I'd do this for 8 more weeks.

DaveR11

For the ich to die in the display tank, due to lack of a host, you typically need 8 to 12 weeks.

I would keep your fish in the quarantine tank but with out any more treatment, unless you see the disease come back. I'd do this for 8 more weeks.

Thanks Dave. My plan was to keep the DT fish free for at least 8 weeks, with the survivors staying in the quarantine tank until then. My concern is has the Cupramine actually worked as the yellow tang is still breathing rapidly....