Search results

1. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Hi all - thought I would jump on here for a moment and say hello! An update - the first house we were going to move to fell through. I ended up buying another one with an unfinished basement, and with no power down there, etc., I ended up having to break down and sell of the tank and...
  2. newo11

Bought a poor condition rsm250 :(

Great job so far. As long as there were no huge scratches, I think you got a great deal. Congrats on getting that ballast re-wired. I also bought my tank used almost 3 years ago. I ended up pulling out all of the wiring in the hood and just retrofitted to LEDs on a controller. I eventually...
  3. newo11

Wrangy's 50 Gallon ZEOvit Rebirth

Tank is looking really good Dom!
  4. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Thanks Glenn! Well the family convinced me last night to try and move the tank, so I'm going to give it a try! Wish me luck...
  5. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

A sad day today. I am moving, and while the new house has a basement with a place for the tank, I think it best to break down the tank, and sell the occupants and tank before the move. (less stress on the tank critters that way). I'm not leaving the hobby however. I will eventually setup a...
  6. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

I get one that shows up every once in a while. I just gently remove one when I find one. There's no way the rock is coming out; that would involve breaking more colonies than I would ever want to do. Emerald crabs tend to have a short life in my tank unfortunately, but I may try to add...
  7. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Squash!!! That's a perfect description
  8. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Not quite the picture I thought I'd post, but.......call me a reef nerd but this was way too interesting not to share. I noticed something in some palys the other day and thought it was a snail. Well when it didn't move, I grabbed the tweezers and pulled it out this morning thinking it must be...
  9. newo11

Blackbeltmom's 120 Peninsula Build

Wow! The new tank looks amazing! Great job Debbie!
  10. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Okay, I'm a slacker. My apologies to everyone that I haven't been on here for a while. Life has been hectic! Tank is doing well - nothing new to report. Except that some of the colonies are getting too big!
  11. newo11

How much do you love (or not love) your RSM?

According to the wife, the entire tank is "that loud" lol! I actually did replace the cooling fans as well as the ballast fans. To me they were louder than I would like even brand new. The other benefit to a chiller is substantially reduced evaporation. I replace about 10-12 ounces of water...
  12. newo11

How much do you love (or not love) your RSM?

To me - what defines the best system for you really comes down to your budget and a recognition of your limitations. With a busy household, a larger tank is much easier to care for than the 24g nanocube you had before, which will be important as you will want this tank to function as much on...
  13. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Pat - I don't know about that! My 10 year old son loves it (and loves working on it)
  14. newo11

Newo11's RSM 250

Just a quick hello to everyone. The tank is doing well but I haven't been on here much lately as this new toy has been taking all of my time:
  15. newo11

NEW RSM250......and it begins!

My bet would be the probe needs calibrating. You shouldn't get large variations in salinity quickly. But.....rising salinity would be a result of evaporation (although that is very quick to happen in an hour!) Nice tank btw!
  16. newo11

Picking your corals?

^^^ this is very good advice. You may want to look for a local club or local hobbyist group that you can purchase from. Generally, coral is much less expensive this way. Also you are more likely to get coral that is adapted to living and thriving in an aquarium environment (as opposed to the...
  17. newo11

A Picture A Day......

Beautiful fish Dom, one of my favorites!
  18. newo11

GT's first reef - Reefer 170

Looking good!
  19. newo11

GT's first reef - Reefer 170

Looking forward to seeing this tank come together. That's a beautiful planted tank - it's a shame that you are planning on taking it down. Or are you planning on moving it somewhere (assuming if course that the mrs. doesn't object too badly[emoji15])
  20. newo11

thedru 3rd times a charm RSM250 journey

The title of this thread is "3rd times a charm" - I would take it slow and use a raw deli shrimp. No products. You want a full cycle and want to wait it out so that you have a good starting point. You have all dry rock - I would not add live rock as you take the risk of adding a pest or other...