Search results

1. J

Joe's 20L - The Ultimate Work In Progress

A little history behind me is I had a 65g. Everything was succesful until I moved, and got busy with the things that the wife wanted done around the new home and the little one growing up. The 65g eventually crashed and I lost all fish. Now that things and life has "settled" down, its...
  2. J

Cooking Previously Used Live Rock

Well.. a while back the 65g crashed from excessive nutrients and my lack of care for the tank, after we moved. Had large amounts of hair algea all throughout the tank.. all fish died.. so I got rid of the 65g. But you better believe I learned from my mishaps and not going to quit the hobby...
  3. J

Tek Retro Ballasts Bulb Compatibility ?

Previously had a 6-bulb, 39 watt, retro kit installed on my old 65g. Will the ballasts that came with this run the 24w, bulbs? Or will it overdrive them, shortening their life? Or will they even work at all?
  4. J

Petco's 1$ Per Gallon Started Today

Local Petco started the "1$ per gallon" sale here in Hanover, PA 17331 Only applies to 20H, 20L and 29 gallon tanks. Picked up a new 20L for my sump and future tear-down/rebuild.
  5. J

Getting Out Sale

Unfortunately.. now that I'm a homeowner and a father.. I'm finding I don't have the time to maintain a SW tank. I have some dry good available and more will become available as soon as I tear down the tank. Items available: AquaC Remora Pro Skimmer (no pump) - $100 shipped...
  6. J

Moving Soon - Best Approach?

January 11th we close on our first home. No more rent.. gotta love it.. But... I'll have to break down the 65g and its livestock and move. 12 mile trip. So.. I dread it.. Luckily, my tank isn't large. Only coral(s) I have are some GSP and a small frag of Zoo's. Everything else is...
  7. J

Oolite, sugar/dust sized sand - Ugh

Goodness, I hate this sand. At first, when setting up my tank, I thought.."Hell yeah.. this looks great".. Now.. I can't stand it. Damsels and lawnmower blenny have it scattered all over the tank.. rocks.. everywhere.. When I move next month, I'm thinking about changing substrate...
  8. J

In-Wall (Closet/Fish Room) Questions?

Well.. closing on our townhome comes up January 11th. In between the living room and kitchen is a wall, with a closet on the kitchen side. I was loooking at this and and idea popped in my head that this would be perfect for establishing an in-wall tank. With a maximum of a 65g tank...
  9. J

My new purchase - Zoanthid of some sort :)

Just got this last week. My second coral purchase; hopefully it does as well as my GSP.
  10. J

First Coral Update

Well, I added my first and only coral so far back in the middle of May. It was a rock covered with Green Star's. As of today it has fully covered the rock that it came on, and is slowly covering an adjacent rock that it is laying on. Took a photo of it lastnight and got a pretty nice hand...
  11. J

Sargassum Algae

Sargassum Just cleaned my tank of this crap this weekend. I had become lazy and this stuff had took over my tank. I had some that towered up to the top of the water column! :eek: My wife and her sister thought it looked cool, but this stuff just grows like crazy. I noticed the...
  12. J

Green Star - Normal Behavior?

For instance lets say you have a nice piece of GSP, and for about 3 weeks it appears to be in great condition. Opening every day and looks great. Then all of a sudden, it doesn't open up at all. It might open up toward the evening for a few hours and close back up for the night. Then the...
  13. J

Good Beginner Coral?

Might head down to one of the LFS and check out the stock. What would be a good beginner coral to add to my tank? (65g, 4x39w T5's, 20x turnover)
  14. J

Lionfish Feeding

I've had my dwarf Zebra Lionfish for a few weeks now. Loves those little rosy red's. I know FW feeders don't seem to be very nutritious, for a long term solution. So, I'm thinking of options, for the health of my new buddy. I could hopefully convert over to prepared foods. I've...
  15. J

My Remora Pro's Collection Cup Fills Up Twice In Two Hours

Ok.. I know these are supposed to take a while to break in, but with the way the collection cup fills up, there is no way I can possibly leave it on, without it flooding the place in an hours time. Currently have it hanging on my sump. Just filled the tank two days ago, so its just now...
  16. J

Jager Heaters ?

Even though there is a "Max" water line, can these be completely submergable??
  17. J

T5 Retro Install - How To??

Man, I must be dumb or something. Here I sit, attempting to install my T5 retro kit, purchased from Reekgeek; not having a clue as to how to lay it out. First mistake made was: purchasing a 6 bulb retro kit, and then realizing only 4 bulbs would fit in my AGA canopy. (the canopy riser...
  18. J

Putting It All Together

Finally got the tax money so I'm able to finish purchasing all the goodies to get my 65g up and running. What is preferred to use for drain and return lines: PVC or flex vinyl tubing? I'll be using one of these U-Tube style overflows: Quietflo-600™ Pre-filter / Overflow So, i'm just...
  19. J

Sump Design

Been thinking about incorporating a sump in my setup that is in the works. I got an empty 65g, with the standard AGA pine stand. I did some measuring and I should be able to put a 20H or 25g underneath as a sump. The only concern is, when I first did my planning I purchased a hang-on AquaC...
  20. J

Joe's 65 Gallon Aquatic World

The plans for the new baby: The plan is to keep it simple. Sumpless and no closed loops or any other complicated matters will be left for reserve use in the future once I get a little experience under my belt. Been researching since September, and just now purchased the tank. I'm middle...