Sump Design

JOSEPHLB

Been thinking about incorporating a sump in my setup that is in the works. I got an empty 65g, with the standard AGA pine stand. I did some measuring and I should be able to put a 20H or 25g underneath as a sump.

The only concern is, when I first did my planning I purchased a hang-on AquaC Remora Pro for my skimmer. After I've done some more research and came to the conclusion that a sump is not difficult to setup, I decided I wanted to set up a sump.

So, can the hang-on AquaC Remora be used in a sump setup? It seems that the normal height of the bubble trap baffles are in the 9-10" range. Its about 14.5" from the bottom of the Remora up to the hang-on ledge/water output.

The water level in the first area of the sump is at the level of the first baffle of the bubble trap, correct?
That would leave a 5-6 inch drop for the water outputting from the skimmer. I'm going to assume that would cause some noise issues, right?

JOSEPHLB

Hey Steve.. Thanks.

I did have the ramp thought of in mind. Wasn't sure how that would turn out. I'm sure a piece of acrylic would bond perfectly onto the section of the Remora that I need it to.

I guess my newbie'ness is showing since I totally overlooked a filter sock :)

I guess I gotta start somewhere.

Has anyone ever removed a brace temporarily on a stand, then stapled/nailed it back once their sump has been placed?

BrothaWolf

I would stay away from the HIGH tanks as they will make it a pain in the neck to do anything in your sump maintainance wise

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
I wouldnt permanently bond the ramp on, at some time you will want to move the skimmer or something, just use a bit of silicone

JOSEPHLB

I've measured the stand interior and I have available, 34" wide x 17.25" front to back x 22.5" tall.

I'll be orientating the sump tank to sit toward the back, so the Remora Pro can still sit outside the back of the stand.

Good point on siliconing instead of something more permanent on the ramp idea. That would have been a disaster :)

I got a 20 gallon Long tank to use as my sump and it fits great. I had similar dimensions but my opening was a little taller. I would def. stay away from a taller tank. Check out the 20Gal!