Search results

1. Talon33

Achilles Tang

Hey guys my reef is coming together awesome and the LFS has a great looking 3-4 inch achilles tang in. This guy is healthy, active, and thick! I have always loved to achilles tang and really want one for the tank to make my tank kinda special. I will give you guys some tank bio and you can let...
  2. Talon33

RODI unit leaking

I purchased a used 75 gpd BRS ro/di unit and hooked it up today. Well it is leaking. It looks like it is leaking on the carbon block canister where it screws in to the housing. I am hoping it didnt get damaged during shipping. I will do some more observations and see if I can pinpoint the leak...
  3. Talon33

Kessil or reef breeder?

So I am setting up my tank right now and need some advice on lighting. I originally had 4 Kessil a150 sky blues I was going to use. 3 of which I already have. Well I found a reef breeders photon w 60 for $450 that has only been turned on once so I grabbed it. Basically I like the kessils a lot...
  4. Talon33

Fluval sp6 too much?

I'm looking at getting a return pump for my 125 gallon tank. It has a 55 gallon sump. I plan on running a manifold system of about 3 outlets and a refugium off my return pump. I have two 3/4 inch returns. Is this pump to much for my system. I can grab one in great condition for about $100
  5. Talon33

Building a successful reef tank

So guys this is my second go around a reefing and I am looking to do things better from the start. I have a 125 gallon tank I am looking to create into a mixed reef with some softies, lots of LPS, and of course try SPS. I really would love a SPS dominated reef tank but not going to dive straight...
  6. Talon33

Plumbing Question, Manifold?

Sorry I have been burning up the equipment forum here lately. A lot of this stuff I am just not familiar with. When I plumb my tank should I incorporate a manifold system to feed any reactors. I don't plan on using reactors in the near future but I feel as I get more comfortable with this stuff...
  7. Talon33

Solid RO/DI unit

I have pretty much everything I need to get my tank running. I just need a solid RO/DI unit. I was going to budget like $250 for one but with expenses adding up faster than I can keep up for awhile I need to cut it back a little bit. Would you guys look at buying a used one? Or maybe a refurb...
  8. Talon33

Neptune Apex Lite?

I have a chance to grab one of these controllers. I think he said it comes with a breakout box and pH probe too. I know these units are discontinued but I am pretty sure neptune still supports them. Is this a worthwhile controller to get and if so what is a good offer this controller. Kinda hard...
  9. Talon33

LED lighting for my 125 gallon tank?

I am getting my equipment together for my 125 tank. I am still torn between going reef and going FOWLR. Thinking about going FOWLR and transitioning into a reef. I will probably never keep SPS corals. The tank will most likely just have LPS and soft corals. May try SPS as I get the hang of...
  10. Talon33

Tunze Osmolator 3155 or Controller

I need an ATO as I am away from my tank pretty often. I have heard nothing but great things from the Tunze and it is on sale for $21 off right now. However would it be better just to use that money towards like an Apex Jr. with float switches for like $50 and be able to do so much more? If the...
  11. Talon33

Doing things right this time (QT tank)

I am starting up a 125 gallon FOWLR. My last tank had ich in the system and I always hated that. Anyways I think it is just an overall better idea to send fish through QT. However, I have a few basic questions and hopefully you guys can get me in the right direction and see that I am prepared to...
  12. Talon33

Aquamaxx or JNS coneS CO-2

I think I have finally narrowed down my skimmer selection to the JNS coneS CO-2. Really like the looks and design of this skimmer and at $350 and rated for up to like 350 gallons very reasonable. I also considered the EM200 or the jns U2. If anyone has experience with any of these skimmers let...
  13. Talon33

Right Skimmer for me?

I am in the process of getting the 125 gallon FOWLR going. The tank is a 125 gallon with a 55 gallon sump that probably holds between 30-40 gallons. Keep in mind this tank is a FOWLR and the concentration being fish. So it will be heavily stocked (reasonably) with butterflyfish which are decent...
  14. Talon33

Dry Base Rock

Starting up my 125 gallon tank. What is a great base rock to go with. Right now I am considering Pukani and Reef Saver rock from BRS. I understand Pukani is less dense so you may get more rock area for your money. However, it is over a dollar more per pound than reef saver so I feel if I place a...
  15. Talon33

Best quality fish online

Hey all, I am in the midst of starting up my 125 gallon FOWLR butterfly fish tank. I am really wanting to find a good site that sells top quality fish since butterflyfish are generally finicky anyways. This tank will house around 6 or so butterfly fish. My LFS gets some common ones like...
  16. Talon33

Buying used Glasscages tank

So I am looking at a 240 gallon tank with stand and canopy. He is asking $800. It being a glasscages product kinda scares me a bit. He says he has never had any problems with it and acknowledged the silicone seams were sloppy but he put some work in on them and went back over them. Do you guys...
  17. Talon33

250 gallon acrylic tank

I am looking at a 250 gallon acrylic tank and stand on craigslist. It is 7ftx2ftx2ft. What do you think would be a reasonable offer to throw out there for a tank like this assuming its in pretty good shape as far as scratches and stuff go. I don't have much experience in the business of tanks...
  18. Talon33

Butterfly fish anyone?

Tossing around some ideas about stocking or what I am trying to achieve with my tank. Right now it's still a freshwater, it was a reef before that then I took a break and now trying to get back into SW slowly with a fowlr tank. Tank is a 6ft 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump. Could I devote...
  19. Talon33

Getting the itch again

Hey all, I haven't been on the forum in awhile but I used to be very frequent on the forum. Anyways, I still have my 125 gallon tank. It is stocked with South American Cichlids (convict, oscar, Rotkeil Severum, Super red severum, Firemouth). I love this tank and have done some pretty decent work...
  20. Talon33

Taking a break from saltwater for awhile

Hey guys, I have not posted in forever. School and such has gotten pretty crazy. But this summer I decided to take a break from saltwater for awhile. It hurt tearing apart all my hard work and my tank was going good. The expenses were just adding up to much. Monthly salt, t5 bulb replacement was...