Butterfly fish anyone?

Talon33

Tossing around some ideas about stocking or what I am trying to achieve with my tank. Right now it's still a freshwater, it was a reef before that then I took a break and now trying to get back into SW slowly with a fowlr tank. Tank is a 6ft 125 gallon tank with 55 gallon sump. Could I devote this tank strictly to butterfly's? I can't find a ton of info on them about aggression with other butterflys. Could I maybe look into keeping 5 or 6 butterflies as it is not everyday people keep these due to their reef diet, I have always liked these fish a lot and would be something nice to have when I don't have a reef or should I stock other stuff and limit the butterflies to 1-2 fish?

StirCrayzy

You could do butterflies plus a couple smaller angels, Which also are hit and miss on being reef safe. Well fed fish are the best behaved unless they start spawning. 5-6 Butterflies should be fine in that tank, I would be cautious, adding angels last, they would be more of a threat to the community.

Talon33

awesome, I think that would make for an excellent tank. I am going to run a big reef octopus skimmer on it since I don't have to devote a ton of money to this system. Can anyone help me picking out some butterflies as I have only had a pearlscale so I don't have much experience with them. I have put together a list of what butterflies seem to be the easiest to keep and would work on my system if you all could helo me narrow it down further that would be great.
Heniochus (May get to big?)
Auriga
longnose
saddleback (not sure about this one)
Vagabond
Organge (Kleini)
Pakistan
Double Saddle
Tahitian
Pearscale
Yellow pyramid
again not wanting to add all these but try to pick out 5-6 specimens that are the hardiest and would do the best in the setup I intend to run.

Oxylebius

DaveK

awesome, I think that would make for an excellent tank. I am going to run a big reef octopus skimmer on it since I don't have to devote a ton of money to this system. Can anyone help me picking out some butterflies as I have only had a pearlscale so I don't have much experience with them. I have put together a list of what butterflies seem to be the easiest to keep and would work on my system if you all could helo me narrow it down further that would be great.
Heniochus (May get to big?)
Auriga
longnose
saddleback (not sure about this one)
Vagabond
Organge (Kleini)
Pakistan
Double Saddle
Tahitian
Pearscale
Yellow pyramid
again not wanting to add all these but try to pick out 5-6 specimens that are the hardiest and would do the best in the setup I intend to run.

Generally, with butterflies you don't have too many compatibility issues. I would tesnd to keep away from a longnose, because they can be tough to feed. Most of the others can be trained to eat just about anything.

Butterflies are generally not reef safe, so they often get neglected with most people wanting a reef system. That's too bad, because they are a fantastic looking fish.

A few of my favorites from the "time before reef systems" are -
Raccoon - Just about indestructible
Auriga - A bit more subtle in color that some of the others
Four Eyed - An Atlantic species. Difficult to get to feed and to keep, consider it a challenge
Spotfin - Another Atlantic species not too hard to keep
Banded butterfly - another indestructible species, not seen too often today in LFS

Talon33

Thanks for some suggestions davek. I will have to check a few of those species out. I think having a nice stock of butterflies would be perfect for me at this time until I can get a reef going again. This project may take awhile to get going but I'm starting the research now and setting aside a nice saltwater fund.
Salty, I love the saddleback I have just read some stuff about them not doing so well in captivity. I will have to find the best place to get these fish and I'm hesitant to buy online because I really need to check them out and watch them eat. Not to mention QT time.

Salty150

Thanks for some suggestions davek. I will have to check a few of those species out. I think having a nice stock of butterflies would be perfect for me at this time until I can get a reef going again. This project may take awhile to get going but I'm starting the research now and setting aside a nice saltwater fund.
Salty, I love the saddleback I have just read some stuff about them not doing so well in captivity. I will have to find the best place to get these fish and I'm hesitant to buy online because I really need to check them out and watch them eat. Not to mention QT time.

Ah... yes, I just read that now...

It says that they should not be kept with other Butterfly fish...

Nascar99

I have a small raccoon and a medium auriga in a 75

The raccoon chased the auriga after acclimation but they get along now

The raccoon only gets aggressive if I put a feeding clam in the tank then he doesn't let the auruga near it

Imo I'd say add them all at once, get different looking fish, and maybe mix in different types like heniochus etc

Have live foods on hand as both fish ate nothing but live food the first week I had them. Live Blackworms, live brine, and fresh clam on shell from my grocery store