Search results

1. C

Awaiting Hurricane Isaac....

So while awaiting for Hurricane Isaac to hit, the one thing I am most worried about is my fish tank. We have a back up generator for when our power goes out sometime tomorrow evening. Just out of curiosity, and worst case scenario, how long can a 30 gallon tank go with damsels and live rock...
  2. C

Serious question..

Alright, this might be stupid. But my mind started to wander tonight- and since I'm majoring in Biology and hopefully making my way towards a profession in the marine field; I was wondering if the ocean has ever cycled, or continually cycles, the way that all of our Aquariums must do. This might...
  3. C

Quick question on water changes..

Alright so I had a question on water changes.. From what i've been told on here quite a few times, water changes ranging from 10-20 percent should be done every two or three weeks.. I spoke to my old high school marine aquatics teacher today. He has a master degree in Marine Science, teaches...
  4. C

Restart on my 30 long..

Alright so I have a 30 gallon, 48'x12' tank. Originally, I had a undergravel filter, two power heads, crushed coral, 20 pounds of live rock, 10 pounds of dry rock, 2 striped damsels, 1 anemone, 2 chromis, 1 blue damsel, 1 clownfish, and 2 turbo snails. All of my levels were fine. Ammonia was...
  5. C

Emergency

just did a 20 percent water change on my 30 gallon tank last night. ammonia ws at .25 is why i did it. ammonia dropped back to 0 but all of my fish are under stress. 3 of them died. salinity if perfect. everything is normal but my fish. help!
  6. C

purple stuff growing on live rock, coraline?

Hey guys. I've noticed lately that some purple stuff has been growing on my live rock and some dry rock i have in my tank. Googled it and found it could be coraline algae? I currently have no way of posting pictures. Sooo what are all the options it could be? And also pro's and con's of the...
  7. C

In need of advice all around

I've acquired my first tank this year and have a few questions.. here is what i have 30 Gallon tank 2 Powerheads Undergravel filter (which ive been told is a nightmare) Crushed coral (which ive also been told sucks) Hagen Glo T5HO fixture, 39watt actinic, 39 watt daylight 20lbs of live...
  8. C

New reef tank hobbyist, advice?

Hey everyone. I'm new to the hobby of keeping aquariums. I was recently given a 30 gallon tank and have had it running for about two months now. I have crushed coral (which ive been told is a disaster, but havent had too much trouble yet), an undergravel filter (which Ive also been told isnt...