purple stuff growing on live rock, coraline?

CGold4

Hey guys. I've noticed lately that some purple stuff has been growing on my live rock and some dry rock i have in my tank. Googled it and found it could be coraline algae? I currently have no way of posting pictures. Sooo what are all the options it could be? And also pro's and con's of the options would be helpful

blackwater

sounds like coraline algae. its part of a reef system, its natural to have some. unless its taking over everything i think its ok. others will have to help here as im new to this as well. for posting pics use photobucket. there is a sticky on how to do this. just upload to photobucket then copy and paste to your post.

CGold4

oh i know how to upload pictures. my iphone actually fell out of my hand into my tank ironically.... so no camera for now

CGold4

alright well one of my dry rocks is completely covered (originally white, is now brown) in brown algae.. should i take it out and rinse it all off?

CGold4

oh it'd been hilarious to me if it had happened to anyone else im sure... my damsels just kinda poked at it for a minute