Search results

1. 6

Lighting for refugium

OH mariner has it right. The fixture won't be more or less efficient to the extent that matters, but the bulb will. you can use this site as a calculator, or calculate use on your own. A 25 watt light bulb running 24 hours a day will cost $2.05 a month at my local rate. If I used an...
  2. 6

other pets?

this is one of my favorite pics of her. I was working on something inside my jeep. She stood up in the seat trying to figure out what I was doing. Keep in mind the jeep she is standing up on has about a 6" suspension lift :) I REALLY wanted to get the better camera, but I knew I would have...
  3. 6

other pets?

Her name is Alexia, she is about 4 years old now, under a year in that pic. she is starting to get gray around the snout already :(
  4. 6

to drill or not to drill.......

yes. From this point forward I will drill every tank, even if my current intention isn't to add a sump. I could always plug the hole. Then if I do want a sump i don't need to tear down the entire tank.
  5. 6

I need to know, is it Ich?

I live in phoenix metro, a bastion for consumerism. Every 3 miles of road you have strip malls filled with nationwide chains. I can be to no less then 10 petco stores in 20 minutes or less. That said, there was one my wife and I referred to as "the good petco". That was the only one I know...
  6. 6

to drill or not to drill.......

if it isn't tempered, DRILL BABY, DRILL! My 90 wasn't drilled and I used an overflow, while they are very reliable and mine never gave me trouble I still was a bit nervous about a flood.
  7. 6

Baby Mollies

I had some in a freshwater tank. the tank was at work, and to keep the story short I feel it fell victim to "too many chef's in the kitchen". One female molly lived and reproduced no less then 3 times on her own, but none of the babies survived. I believe the live bearing fish have the...
  8. 6

Lighting for refugium

First we need to know what's going to be living in there. keeping coral requires much different light then algae, fish, crabs etc. If you plan to keep coral in there you will need a better rig. If you are growing macroalgae a clamp light and grow bulb will be fine. My grow bulb ran 18 hours...
  9. 6

other pets?

10. 6

Butterfly Conservatory in Niagara Falls, Canada

my wife and I went there when we were dating. She came out with a huge smile, I came out shuttering because of all the bugs crawling on me :D It was a nice visit, there is also a similar place with birds nearby, that was cool as well.
  11. 6

Need lighting recommendation for 50g

i had 2 250 MH's over my tank. Raised the water temperature 5 to 10°F and my electric bill about $50-$100 (usd) a month. If i were to do it over I would save the long term and spend more up front for a killer LED or T5 system.
  12. 6

Will single strength glass work for sump baffles?

I went completely against everything I ever read and used very thin plexi. less then 1/8". Siliconed it in place and carefully filled each chamber separately. I had to add one perpendicular brace from the end of the bubble trap, through the return section to the exterior glass. Every reefer...
  13. 6

Lighting for refugium

i had the same, plus a strip light from an old fresh water tank too. The chaeto loved it.
  14. 6

I need to know, is it Ich?

add any new fish lately? Is there something that could be stressing him? Is he getting old? I once read that every fish carries some sort of ick, but it only comes out if the fishes immunity system drops or it gets stressed. I can't recall where I read that, so take it with a grain of salt...
  15. 6

Wood canopy and T5 lighting

I wouldn't be worried. I ran (2) 250 watt metal halides and (2) 96 watt PCs under my hood for over 2 years. The only problems I had was popping MH bulbs when I got sloppy and splashed water....generally right after I located my long spine urchin and jumped :D You can see some discoloration...
  16. 6

70 DIY MH light w/ ballast wise ballast.

i have a 70 watt metal halide light i made when i had my nano reef running a few years back. It comes with a ballastwise ballast, plug to the wall, bulb and a halogen fixture. if you want the ballast further from the light you will need a length of wire to do it. the bulb is an ebay bulb...
  17. 6

aqua c remora w/ maxijet 1200

Maxijet 1200 pump, WYSIWYG. works but needs to be cleaned! $75 shipped.
  18. 6

FS: 90 gallon tank, 29 gallon sump, stand, lights & hood (Arizona)

90 gallon undrilled tank with black background (48x18x24) 29 gallon sump with DIY dividers Pine stand and hood (2) 250 watt metal halide, single end. 1 hamilton ballast, 1 unknown ballast. (see pic) ebay bulbs, one 10k one 20k. (2) 96 watt power compact lights w/ coralife ballast. I...
  19. 6

hello from maricopa arizona!

hi there. I'm new to the site, but not the hobby. I started with a 29 gallon FOWLR, then added a 10 gallon nano reef and eventually upgraded to a 90 gallon w/ 29 gallon sump. I'm moving on from that setup now, so check it out in the classifieds! :shades: What's a "trackback"?