Search results

1. C

Calling all Veterans....House move - Advice

Maximum of 5 hours. Temp is going to have to be relying on the car temp.
  2. C

Calling all Veterans....House move - Advice

Moving house in 10 days. Will be a full pack up into a truck and a five hour journey from door to door. Want to try to save my current set up..... The guys left in my tank have endured hell on a trike already so we can safely assume that they are hardy.... Current tenants of my 32 gallon...
  3. C

Hermit crab - legs fell off - help!!!!

That's a good thing for your snails.....LOL Ha ha only joking....it probably moulted. you wont see the new legs outside the shell until it hardens up. Maybe add a couple of drops of iodine to help harden him up...it wont hurt the shrimp either..
  4. C

This is the end?

Went home to London for three days. Got back last night.... Looks like there was a powercut which tripped out my circuit breakers when it came back on about 2 hours after I left... Clown fish Dead Devil's hand dead Boxer shrimp Dead Bristle worm infestation....... removed visible...
  5. C

First post and question about Live Rock

Live rock is just live rock....even dead rock will become live rock. Live rock is not magical it is just porous and therefore has a huge surface area for good bacteria to grow and filter your water of nitrous substances. Dead rock will eventually become live, it will just take a bit longer than...
  6. C

JellyFish

me too.....
  7. C

System Setup on Saturday

Wow seabass that's a beautiful job you did with your hood there...looks like a Georgian King George the V Mahogany Euroreefhood to me ;)
  8. C

Carbonate Hardness Too High

He said he is having problems with his RO unit....therefore boiled or rain water seems a good free work around.
  9. C

LOL so where do you think sea water comes from?
  10. C

System Setup on Saturday

LOL having the opposite problem right now. had to knock my heater up a few notches to maintain temp. I live in istanbul and during the summer when i set up my tank had the heaters off most of the time. The cold weather has just kicked in and I have a golden retriever puppy who needs to get...
  11. C

System Setup on Saturday

1. If it's prepared reef substrate you shouldn't need to wash it. if it's live sand definitely don't wash it. 2. depends where you live. In Turkey the tap water is fine. 3. Your LFSG probably is just worried about burrowing stuff getting under the sand and your rock collapsing. I tend to agree...
  12. C

LOL its physically impossible for your RO unit to make water harder (unless it's made from limestone...or in fact not an RO unit and actually a Kalk-wasser unit) Also have you tested your tap water post RO once it's been mixed with salt mix to the correct salinity? I cant tell that from what...
  13. C

JellyFish

Check out the Youtube link above...you can make a really cheap jelly tank where they will thrive...
  14. C

Filled and circulating...now what?

I would put the lights on to encourage the growth of anything photosynthetic that might be attached to your live rock.
  15. C

JellyFish

Cassiopea is a genus of scyphozoan jellyfish very commonly found in shallow mangrove swamps, mudflats, and turtle grass flats in Florida and various other similar environments around the world, where it lives usually upside-down on the bottom. Where found, there may be numerous individuals with...
  16. C

Internal Parasite or something else!?

Water changes can help....also it could just be the stress of changing tanks
  17. C

first timer questions

If you are setting up a reef tank I would suggest blowing detritus off rock rather than sucking it off. If you have good water flow and a good clean up crew then vacuuming will only risk disturbing your sand bed (which is where the majority of your good bacteria will be) or sucking up baby...
  18. C

Filled and circulating...now what?

Nice set up so far. I would set up your lights on a timer and leave it alone. No need to set your skimmer going yet. (You'll just be using electricity). Concentrate on your salinity for the next few days as that will change as things settle down. (Plus this will get you used to the...
  19. C

How long can live rock be sustained out of water?

I have often wondered about this. I'm inclined to think that seeing as some shallow coral reefs are exposed to low tidal flows for 6-8 hrs per day you wouldn't be panicking after 2 hours. Depends what kind of stuff is growing on your rock.
  20. C

Damsels not actually beginner fish?

I think most people use them to start because they are so cheap and known to be nitrate tolerant. I was warned from the beginning by several people that they are not a good reef fish. I started out with a pair of clown fish and added three green/blue chromies and they all get on fine. The clowns...