Carbonate Hardness Too High

Tom

I'm getting readings in the 160 range in the Nutrafin KH Test after repeated tests. I am using a 4-Stage Captive-Purity 75 GPD RO/DI Water System. I finally got around to testing my tap water before and after passing through the filter system and clearly the system is turning soft-water into very hard water. The question is what do I do about it now? Does anyone have enough experience to know if I remove the filter from one of the cannisters (which one?) can I still get high quality water but reduce the water hardness.

Thanks.....

TylerHaworth

If your water is coming out of your RO/DI soft OR hard, you're doing something wrong... A RO/DI unit should be producing zero TDS...

Curehead

LOL its physically impossible for your RO unit to make water harder (unless it's made from limestone...or in fact not an RO unit and actually a Kalk-wasser unit)

Also have you tested your tap water post RO once it's been mixed with salt mix to the correct salinity? I cant tell that from what you've written.

Carbonate Hardness KH (Temporary Hardness)

As well as calcium and magnesium, most natural waters also contain bicarbonates as part of the total salt mix. It is these bicarbonates that make up the carbonate hardness or KH value. The bicarbonates have an important function in the overall chemistry of aquarium water. They act as a pH buffer preventing sudden changes in the pH value. Where bicarbonates are deficient ( i.e. low KH value), large fluctuations in the pH can occur under certain circumstances and the addition of a small amount of acid or alkaline water will cause a drastic change in the pH of the aquarium water. The higher the KH the better the pH buffering, but a very high KH can lead to a markedly alkaline pH. Carbonate hardness is also known as temporary hardness because bicarbonates change to carbonates and come out of solution when the water is boiled. Recommended values of the KH for stable conditions are around 2° to 8° dH, although certain fish do have other requirements.

What to do if the KH is too low

Make up a strong solution of sodium bicarbonate and add it to the water a little at a time, until the desired KH is reached. Ensure water is well aerated during this process. Do not add the sodium bicarbonate solution directly into a tank containing fish or plants, as the sudden change may adversely affect the fish and plants. The adjustment should be made to water outside of the tank, and the adjusted water then added slowly to the aquarium. This should be carried out slowly over a period of several days, closely monitoring the pH during the adjustment.

What to do if the KH is too high

Dilute the hardwater with clean rain water, distilled water, previously boiled water, or water treated with a commercially available softener (only use this if you intend not adding livestock for at least a month). If practical, the tank can be filled with boiled water that has been cooled and aerated

Rainwater isn't necessarily all that clean. It filters the air on the way down, picking up acids, pollen, who knows what. I wouldn't recommend rainwater for aquarium use. It's not terrible for sure, but its got more in it than you might think.

chipmunkofdoom2

If KH is too high, all that means is the level of dissolved minerals is too high. Add RO/DI water, you don't need "boiled" water or rainwater. Anything with lower KH than the water you have will lower it obviously, and since RO/DI has nothing in it at all, this would be a prime choice.. you have to watch salinity though. Investigate your salt mix, as an old or bad batch could also cause this.

Mix up a new batch of saltwater and if all the tests on the new water are good, do large water changes (35%+). If it doesn't test okay, get new salt then do the massive water changes.

Be sure you are always shaking your bucket prior to mixing, as salt mix is not homogeneous and some larger/heavier particles may separate, leading to inconsistent water quality.

Curehead

Rainwater isn't necessarily all that clean. It filters the air on the way down, picking up acids, pollen, who knows what. I wouldn't recommend rainwater for aquarium use. It's not terrible for sure, but its got more in it than you might think.
LOL so where do you think sea water comes from?

Curehead

If KH is too high, all that means is the level of dissolved minerals is too high. Add RO/DI water, you don't need "boiled" water or rainwater. Anything with lower KH than the water you have will lower it obviously, and since RO/DI has nothing in it at all, this would be a prime choice.. .

He said he is having problems with his RO unit....therefore boiled or rain water seems a good free work around.