first timer questions

ostromk45

@Davek
yeah it is a ro/di the reason. why I want to hook it up to the bathroom sink is I have this tank vac that I use to clean and or fill my tank and it hooks up to the sink then u turn the water on and it creates a vacume to suck the water out. What would be the best way to run it? Something I have not seen on here is When doing water changes what is the easiest way to measure out how much salt to mix in with the new water. I had one heck of a time getting my salitiy where it is supposed to be.

Curehead

If you are setting up a reef tank I would suggest blowing detritus off rock rather than sucking it off. If you have good water flow and a good clean up crew then vacuuming will only risk disturbing your sand bed (which is where the majority of your good bacteria will be) or sucking up baby critters. A turkey baster is good for this or the syringes that come with good test kits.

I havent been doing marine very long but I try to imagine that my reef is a real one and try to avoid any unnatural motion. The only sucking that I can imagine occurring on a real reef would be when bigger critters are sucking up smaller ones. (Or when my goby is filtering the sand). I swear by conches for keeping the sand clean and my turbos do the rocks.

ostromk45

If you are setting up a reef tank I would suggest blowing detritus off rock rather than sucking it off. If you have good water flow and a good clean up crew then vacuuming will only risk disturbing your sand bed (which is where the majority of your good bacteria will be) or sucking up baby critters. A turkey baster is good for this or the syringes that come with good test kits.

Yeah I was thinking the same thing the sand is so light that it would suck up the sand as well. I have been keeping it away from the sand but how should I clean what debris are on the sand now cause I can not put a clean up crew in there yet its not ready.

chipmunkofdoom2

Now, if money is no object, you can get a heater controller with a hight and low set point, or full feature controller, a chiller, and a heater. Then you can just dial in the temp you want and it stays there. However, unless you have a large tank and a lot of money to spent on it, this is not a cost effective option.

Reefkeeper Lite costs $99 brand new and has heater and chiller temperature control plugs. When a majority of decent skimmers cost over $200 and people will pay $400 for a Vortech, I think $99 is a drop in the bucket.

As you've said many times before when referring to skimmers and RO units, if you want to skimp out on these pieces of equipment solely because of cost, you're in the wrong hobby. Not using a reliable external temperature controller when a $25 heater can kill everything in your tank, I believe, is another great example of this.

ostromk45

I have noticed from my live rock i have these little worms in my tank now they a black or brown with orange tips are these ok? If not how do I get rid of them?

I have a 38G reef tank and it has been up & running for almost a year. I do not have a heater or a protein skimmer for my tank and I never had any issues with big temp fluctuation or algae problems. I have a HOB Aquafuge (medium) running with DSB and chaetos.

I also have an old HOB Whisper filter running on the tank with filter pads, it polishs my water very good.

I can post pics of my tank if you don't believe me.