Search results

1. DrugMonkeyRX

Mysid shrimp in my tank?

So last night i decided to flash a light into my tank only to see a bunch of these guys swimming around near the bottom of the tank near the glass. I saw 2 of them and wasn't sure what the hell they were. I then flashed the light in-between a dark cave and i saw probably a dozen of them that...
  2. DrugMonkeyRX

Mimic Lemonpeel Tang NOT eating.

I picked this guy up yesterday and he still hasnt eaten anything. Is this normal for Tangs to not eat right away? Here as some pictures of him. Any insight would be appreciated. I tried feeding him Rods Foods, I also put up some Algae in a clip.
  3. DrugMonkeyRX

Check this yellow finger Leather coral i received from Reefs2go........

i received this yesterday, and it didnt look too good but i decided to give it a chance anyway. Well this is how it looked when i woke up this AM. I removed it right away, and as i was removing it most of it broke apart. It looked like it melted away. Im assuming i will receive credit for...
  4. DrugMonkeyRX

Hurricane Irene headed my way...

I dont have any back up power for my tank as of right now and from the sound of it this storm will hit Long Island pretty hard. Im just worried i will be without power for a day or two. What can i buy or do so i can make sure my tank doesnt go belly up. 1 LTA 1 Clown 1 Coral Beauty 1 Candy...
  5. DrugMonkeyRX

What the heck is this??

The Flour. Green looking nodule?
  6. DrugMonkeyRX

Not Running a Protein skimmer.

I was wondering whats the key to the success of these reef tanks? Is it just frequent water changes? because right now im not running a Protein skimmer and i would like to try and run my system without one. If anyones currently not using a skimmer ide love to hear from you.
  7. DrugMonkeyRX

Remove Bio Balls from Wet/Dry?

My system has been up and running for 9-10 months now and i would like to remove the bio balls from my wet/dry filter. Is it ok to just take them out or do i have to remove a few then wait a few days and remove some more? My Tank is a 72G Bow with about 90lbs of LR. I have 1 Clown(added 5/1/11)...
  8. DrugMonkeyRX

Lighting Feedback

I was thinking of purchasing this light fixture. http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=AK01191&idCartRow=23031792&isKit=0&child=AK01192 MarineDepot.com Just wanted some feedback or maybe other suggestions. I really like the fact it only has one plug and a timer and the reviews...
  9. DrugMonkeyRX

Stomatella Snails

I had a bunch of hair algae on a few of my rocks, i have to say these snails ate it all up i was amazed. At first i had no idea what these guys were, i was alittle worried then i did some research and found them to be pretty good algae eaters. I have around 6-7 of these snails right now.
  10. DrugMonkeyRX

This is what im thinking of doing....

My tank is 3 weeks old and im planning on waiting till it hits 3 months before i add anything into it(other than the hitchhikers that are present right now). Im seeing some algea growing in the back of the tank glass but from what i read thats a good thing. My question is do i leave it alone or...
  11. DrugMonkeyRX

What should i feed Copods and Worms?

My tank is 2 weeks old and i read here that i should feed the life thats already in my tank(0.5gm/20g every other day), but what do i feed them? Thanks *Copepods
  12. DrugMonkeyRX

How do you read a refractometer

I bought a refractometer for 70.00 and im having trouble understanding how to read the damn thing. I think im doing it right but i need a confirmation because the instructions that came with the damn thing arent quite clear. When i calibrate the meter with the marine saline solution it came with...
  13. DrugMonkeyRX

DrugMonkeyRX Tank Talks

Re: Just exactly what is a 'cycled' tank I have a 72G Bow tank with 100 lbs of live rock with crushed coral and its 4 days into the cycle. Here are my readings so far Temp 78.5 Ammonia Test Kit arriving next week Nitrite Test kit arriving next week NitrAtes 20ppm SPgrav 1.022 PH 7.8 When i...
  14. DrugMonkeyRX

My First FOWLR Tank

This is day 2, i must say im really happy i found this forum. You guys saved me a load of money. I already see 2 what look to be like feather duster worms on my LR. I actually went back and picked up another 40lbs of LR to bring my total up to 100lbs. Ill be adding that in tonight.
  15. DrugMonkeyRX

Hello

Last week i purchased a 72g Bow tank/w stand. I am planning on starting my 1st ever saltwater fish only tank. The tank is still empty because ive been doing a ton of research on saltwater tanks and it seems there is alot of stuff that you need to know. So i decided to do the research 1st and...