Search results

1. J

Skimmer

Skimmers are old (last century) technology. They strip as much good as bad. Old stuff man .
  2. J

six figure tanks

I can't confirm that last tank I posted was only 700G This website has some cool tanks, including the one I posted above. Custom Aquariums
  3. J

six figure tanks

Speaking of that #5 700 Gallon tank. Check this 700 gallon reef out!
  4. J

six figure tanks

What does six figures mean? 100,000 grand or 900,000 grand? Like I said earlier, that is one of the nicest tanks I have seen. I enjoyed that Times article. Adalius, no doubt if you build/install the tank yourself you can save some serious money. I don't think 20,000 would cut it. 700 gallon...
  5. J

six figure tanks

PS: Not doing the tank yourself is cheating :P
  6. J

six figure tanks

That tank is A class...only six figs? Nice, that is some load taking from the apartment trusses. That is six figs, seems right. PS: 700 gallons of reef hanging from the ceiling? 3 tons? In New York? I am not clicking with anyone here....if you have worked hard enough and can afford to have it...
  7. J

InWall Tank ideas . . .

I wish you the best, and look forward to seeing the progress! I am a starving college student and my 35 gallon is at budget. Here is to progress!! Cheers :)
  8. J

Test Kits

SeaChem=A class. You can ditch the test kits when you have experience, and good tank regimens. I always think water should exceed quality before something is noticed, and a test needs to be done. Once you have done this awhile, your test kit will be you eyes, and the brilliant health of you...
  9. J

InWall Tank ideas . . .

This thread is great! If I wasn't restricted to a budget, my tank would replace an interior, non load bearing wall!
  10. J

lionfish help

You need to post all water parameters and system info for us to begin to help:_) Maintenance regime too:_)
  11. J

60 Gallon Cube~

I got a bad conversion calculator online, lol! 268.8 is what I originally got. 231 came up two other places! Good news, I thought my cube was a 30....it is a 35! Updated prior post to reflect correct info! Thank you sir: ) I love being wrong when it works out in my favor!
  12. J

60 Gallon Cube~

PS: I have an oceanic cube at 20 by 20 by 20, at 30 Gallons. I was thinking if you can get another 30 gallons by adding 4 inches to each side of the cube, then my tank must be a 35 or a 40 Gallon! 231 CI per gallon...yours is 60! And mine is 35! I always thought mine was a 30 Gallon! I am happy...
  13. J

Lighting Question

We appreciate you asking questions! I think this is a great forum too. I still learn new things, and continue doing research! So we are doing this great hobby together. I look forward to hearing what you decide to do... Let us know!:thumbup:
  14. J

Fish Health

You are a good cat...sharing your hypothesis in detail like this! I would look at the metabolic marine bio on a micro cellular level...and use Harvard, Stanford, Yale, marine bio journals of scientific study! You can use their library data bases ; ) I think Paul Harvey has more to your...
  15. J

Water change question.

I have done the 2 week and monthly change routine....that just leaves room for more inconsistency...weekly is better in any reef, FOWLR, FOT, no matter what the circumstance! The old timers will tell you that too ; ) Be consistent, and have the healthier tank!
  16. J

help me make a light combo?

Right on target.
  17. J

Lighting Question

I like your style sir! But depending on the light, the watt per gallon rule can be quite effective! SPS need more per gallon than LPS, and so the LPS usually end up under a PC, while the SPS end up under Halides. I think 5 to 9 watts of halides is good for SPS! But 3 to 5 watts is good for...
  18. J

another wild caught mandarin bites the dust

+1 on that.....
  19. J

Lighting Question

The watt per gallon rule is still good if you are smart enough to consider the light source I think. Yes, many lights and styles have hit the trade, but the dirty watt per gallon rule is a decent baseline. Those that say it isn't don't offer the alternative, so go with it until they have one :)...
  20. J

Thinking of setting up a 1G Pico Vase

Living proof that water changes trump all the "filtration equipment" money can buy ; )