Search results

1. P

Alternative to Bubble Magus 5 - Rock Sp1000 pump

Thanks for the feedback Dave. Para
  2. P

Alternative to Bubble Magus 5 - Rock Sp1000 pump

Hello All, I have a Bubble Magus 5 Protien Skimmer, and the pump is dead or dying. I am looking for an alternative model to use as a replacement. while it's possible to find A direct replacement, it certainly wasn't easy. I'm wondering if anyone can suggest a mainstream product that I...
  3. P

Advice on CUC for new 38g tank

I'd say wait. The cycle has to happen. The tank takes time to age/cycle. If you plunk a clean up crew in now many / all will die. That will make your current problem worse. I'm not as experienced as many of our members but I'd suggest using this time to make sure things like plumbing /...
  4. P

how many fish is to many???

And I thought I'd have the record w/ 1 clown in an 85 gallon system. To answer you question I believe I've heard a rule of thumb of one inch of fish per gallon, but this is really system / fish depended. 10 neons might have been fine in my 10 gallon with sufficient aeration but 1 - 10 inch fish...
  5. P

Who cultures macros with their corals?

I've successfully cultured a large population of cotton candy algae for almost 2 years straight! :grind: Oh, you mean on purpose, well in that case... I've read several things about this, and it is a very reasonable way to develop a more natural approach to reefing. There are attractive...
  6. P

Is my Acropora bleached?

I personally don't believe this to be bleaching. My speculation would be surface irritation either from other corals or something like a crabs walking through the tank. The overall condition of the coral and the look of the coral tips looks to me that the coral is healthy and growing well...
  7. P

crab with BIG pointy claw...

One of my crabs caught several firefish. Perhaps a firefish on a fishing line. :D On second thought don't do that...
  8. P

Clown fish and algae?

I've had a few clowns over the years, and I've always successfully maintained an algae problem...Sad but true. If you have any concern my suggestion is tank raised clowns. They will be much more likely to have been raised on human provided food sources, and thus I suspect they are less likely...
  9. P

duncans is this normal

I'm going to offer one alternate theory and that is something along the lines of a PH or chemical swing. I have acan's and a few other feeders that open up after hours. I believe it's less the light change than either PH, or some other chemical shift. Long story short I'd double check your...
  10. P

what is your favorite l/r hitchhiker?

I've had several very interesting crabs tag along. In particular a banded crab, which I now suspect ate many of my beloved firefish. I try not to hold it against him. I also picked up a Borneman's Anemone, which has since produced 1/2 dozen or more offspring. It has been very interesting...
  11. P

CUC in sump?

Al, does the size of your crew essentially regulate itself with the amount of available food. My concern would be if I put too many in, they will die off. That will in turn create more Phosp/Nit. Thoughts? Para
  12. P

Black Sponges in RSM 250

My approach is similar to black belt. They serve a useful purpose for removing large particles. Either swap them out every six month or so, or ditch them. I rinse my about monthly, but I continue to use some of them. Some method of removing large particles is helpful. Para
  13. P

Sump Height Q

Could you explain a bit better the source of the gurgling at the overflow? Is it where the water drops into the fuge from the tank? The other question I guess I have is where this water is pumped in, or truly overflow based as you described and just gravity fed. I don't intend to use the...
  14. P

RSM 250 Refugium / Sump and Skimmer addition - my plans, your feedback

Since I can't seem to edit the orginal post, here's there links to my current equipment picks... Sump/Fuge: Precision Marine Refugium Skimmer: AquaMaxx EcoMaxx In-Sump Protein Skimmer Return Pump: Danner Mag-Drive Supreme Water Pump
  15. P

Sump Height Q

I'm looking to add a sump to my existing 250 RSM system. Since the stock RSM stand won't accomodate the skimmer I plan to build a small stand behind the RSM to hold my sump / skimmer. My question, is there an ideal height for placement? Thanks in advance. For bonus points, if you want to...
  16. P

Thanks Ian. I look forward to hearing more.
  17. P

Hi All, I'm working on designing a revised layout for my RSM, which I'd like to add a sump / fuge. I'm also going to add an in sump skimmer. I'm going to tell you my current plan and I'd greatly value your input and thoughts. I've run the RSM for 2+ years and learned a lot, but this would...
  18. P

Snails?

I'd suggest 3 if they are massive based on my exp. I'd get a phosban reactor at the same time too. Watch them, if the turbos fall over they turn into massive phosphate/nitrate factories once they die. Also, if you feed every day consider going to every other.