duncans is this normal

jsgarrido

i got some really nice duncans that are growing but during the day they close up and during night time they open really nice is this normal ??? they sometimes do open up during the day but not usually :confused:

HUNTER1

I had a large colony that fully opens when the lights are on then close up momentarily when I turn off the lights but will halfway open during the night. So I say not normal from my observation. Maybe your Duncan is different.

Choff

Can't say what normal is, but mine do the opposite. Maybe you have them to high in the tank and it's to much light?

Sent using Tapatalk 2

jsgarrido

well i got them at the bottom of the tank in the sand . its odd cuz i got some kenya trees at the top of the tank and they expanding during the day. i bought the duncan with only two heads know it has like 10 heads so i guess every duncan is diffrent :shades:

jimv

Mine do the opposite. They open slowly when my lights turn on in the morning and then close slowly once the lights turn off.

jsgarrido

i guess mine are special LOL do you know if two duncans that look a little diffrent be put together or would they sting each other. i got a set of duncans from plantman but they are diffrent from the ones i got .

Paragon

I'm going to offer one alternate theory and that is something along the lines of a PH or chemical swing. I have acan's and a few other feeders that open up after hours. I believe it's less the light change than either PH, or some other chemical shift. Long story short I'd double check your water parameters. If everything else in the tank seems fine I wouldn't sweat it. If the duncan is the most sensitive coral you have, I would use it as a 'watch dog' for an issue with water quality.

Best Wishes,
Para

jsgarrido

i do have some pulsing xenia in my tank and they open up really nice when the lights are on , arent they sensitive to any water swings?? i test all my water parameters they tested really good . like yesterday it opened up halfway during the day and today it was closed up .. but when night hits its huge nice green colors around the mouth with my moon lights . the coral is doing really great so im not going to sweat it.

Blue Space

Your main concerns would be the usual -water quality, light intensity, and flow. If you're sure those are good then I would just monitor them for now and as long as you don't start losing heads you'll be just fine.