Search results

1. O

Hospital tank questions

Is it possible to move the rock, sand and inverts to the 260 leaving only the fish in the 125 and use that as the hospital tank?
  2. O

What's wrong with the Kole Tang

Unfortunately the fish was dead this morning.
  3. O

I did another large water change before adding Furan-2 this evening. I've included another pic. Does not look good under & around the mouth and the mouth is barely moving.
  4. O

I've done a couple of large water changes but have not used any medications yet. My girlfriend, seeing me sitting in front of the tank playing with my Ipod touch so the fish can get used to me is now convinced I'm crazy. However the fish doesn't look any better. I'm almost halfway through the...
  5. O

Thank you once again!!!!
  6. O

Hi Lee. Yes it is really that neat and clean. But keep in mind that I just finished it up a couple of days before that pic was taken and it's only been two weeks since the pic was taken. :) I've actually enhanced it somewhat. Coming out of the translucent fresh water container I have a...
  7. O

Can diseases be transferred to my tank from coral?

It is possible that the fish is sick or that there could be some ich parasites within the water that is transferred. But the idea behind a QT being relatively small is that if there is ich in the system it will attack the fish in the small confines and be obvious at some time during the six...
  8. O

Thanks everyone for your responses. Lee, I have Maracyn-2 at home, but not Furan-2. Don't mind purchasing it if necessary. Just wondering if Maracyn-2 would suffice. Also I have a product from API called Stress Coat (I think) at home. Would you recommend using this? I've been feeding...
  9. O

You're thinking of specific gravity, which should be 1.021 through 1.026. I gave the measurement in ppt of salinity. 32 ppt corresponds to a specifc gravity of approximately 1.024. Most reefers keep their salinity at 35 ppt.
  10. O

Most of that info is in the original post. He's in a 20 gallon QT by himself; no live rock or sand. I'm careful about siphoning off some water every day to avoid food rotting on the bottom. Ammonia & nitrite levels are given in the original post. Salinity is at 32 ppt using a calibrated...
  11. O

I only have two foam filters, a heater and a PVC pipe (which he rarely goes into) in the tank. I'm hoping that it's just bruising but it doesn't seem likely that he's bruising himself on those items.
  12. O

I'd say a little under a week. It's quite difficult getting a good look at him as he hides most of the time. I'm not sure how to identify whether that is happening.
  13. O

I've had a Kole Tang in a QT since purchasing from an LFS almost two weeks ago. I've included 2 pictures. He tends to spend most of his time hiding under the sponge filter. I don't know if that could cause an injury. Seems mainly to be on one side of his body. He's eating very well...
  14. O

Doing the ich dance - do I move fish from QT to hospital tank ?

A little over a month ago I put two new fish in my 125 gallon DT; a sailfin tang (about 2 1/2") and a blue hippo tang (about 4"). Both had been QT'd for six weeks in separate tanks. No sign of disease. A week ago I got a Kole tang. He's currently in a QT. Yesterday evening I found a lot of white...
  15. O

Introducing Corals

Thanks to all for your helpful responses. :wave:
  16. O

Introducing Corals

I have a FOWLR system, but I'm considering adding some corals. It was suggested in the fish disease & treatment forum that anything wet that's introduced to a DT first be quarantined. Having to treat for ich last summer has me believing this is a good idea. But how to quarantine coral...
  17. O

Wave maker on...... Angels DEAD! What's up with THAT!?!

Sorry about your loss. Did you clean your powerhead before installing it? Just wondering if something was left on the powerhead from the manufacturing process.
  18. O

Would you be willing to pay a bit more?

I'd like to say it's a good idea. But unfortunately I think one of two things will happen. People that properly quarantine their fish will very much appreciate what you're doing. But since they'll probably continue to do their own quarantine they may decide that they only see a minimal...
  19. O

Firefish newb here....Questions

Several suggestions: Everytime you add a fish you're causing a larger load on the nitrifying bacteria. Generally you want to add one fish at a time. Let the bio-load stabilize before adding another fish. I wouldn't take water from the LFS. You don't know what disease/parasites might be in...
  20. O

Can I add more fish or am I maxed out?

Blakejohn. When I did my calculations I pretty much did what you suggested and applied Lee's guidelines. With the cardinalfish, clowns and gobies I figured 3 gallons per inch. For the tangs and foxface I figured 4 gallons per inch. Making some guesstimates as to the final size of the two...