Search results

1. droth

Algae Success Story

I just wanted to share some good news and a success story with algae. At the end of February I went on a two week vacation and had a friend take care of feeding as well as topping off water. Unfortunately I returned to an aquarium filled with green hair and bubble algae and the news that I lost...
  2. droth

Vortech MP10 ES Propeller Pumps

I’ve been thinking about replacing my (3) Koralia power heads with the Eco Tech, Vortech MP10 ES Propeller Pump type of power head. I like the idea of the motor and wiring being on the outside of the tank. Can anyone tell me what they think of these programmable power heads, are they worth the...
  3. droth

Premixed Saltwater?

Thanks Bob!!
  4. droth

Premixed Saltwater?

I wanted to ask about mixing your saltwater. Presently I’m cleaning and changing about 25% of my water on a weekly basis. Changing water weekly means mixing a lot of saltwater and I want to be able to make it and store it. Can I make up saltwater and store it in 18 litre jugs. How many...
  5. droth

Bubble Algae?

Thanks guys I'll try it tonight when I give the tank a 25% water change.
  6. droth

Feeding Coral Shrimp

BigAl can you tell me what and how you feed your fish & corals? I'd love to have this bubble and red bacteria algae to disappear. I've added an additional power head and a Tunze Skimmer but I still have this stuff growing. temperature: 78°F specific gravity: 1.023 pH: 8.0 ammonia: 0...
  7. droth

Bubble Algae?

I seem to have got control of the green hair algae but the bubble algae is still there and growing. I tried to pull them off the rocks but for every 3 bubbles I get one bursts. The main group of these bubbles seem to be on one rock. Can I take this rock out, scrub them off the rock and then...
  8. droth

Feeding Coral Shrimp

Hi guys I was hoping someone could help me. I have a 45 gallon aquarium with a Spotted Yellow Wrasse and a Coral Banded Shrimp as well as numerous corals. I've had these for about a month now and was feeding fish pellets and frozen coral food but when I started to have algae problems I quit...
  9. droth

Turning Sand Base

Thanks BigAl I haven't been straining my frozen food before putting it into my tank. Can I ask what you feed your fish and where you get it? Do you buy it or make it yourself?
  10. droth

Turning Sand Base

David I have very fine sand on the botom of my tank and it seem every time I suck up the algae I also suck up a bit of sand. Do you have a fine sand bed or is it more course?
  11. droth

Turning Sand Base

I have one Spotted Yellow Wrasse, a Coral Shrimp, 2 Turbo Snails, several smaller snails, (1) Bubble coral, (1) Frog spawn, (1) Pink Tipped, (1) Brain coral and some Mushroom corals. I also have about half a dozen small Hermit Crabs As far as food I feed the fish five or six pellets every...
  12. droth

Turning Sand Base

I'm having the dreaded red bacteria growing on my sand base for about 6 weeks now. In order to try and eliminate it I've been doing regular 25% water changes every week in my 45 gallon, I purchased an extra power head (now have three) and also purchased and installed a Tunze Skimmer. I'm still...
  13. droth

I really need your help here.

I have a problem with algae and I can`t figure out why!! PROBLEM: I just got back from a two week road trip to the Grand Canyon to find two of my fish dead and a large algae problem. I was seeing the beginning of a problem before I left but it’s escalated into a larger problem. I had an...
  14. droth

Red Brain Coral ?

Thanks JS!
  15. droth

Red Brain Coral ?

I recently purchased a Red brain coral. The sales person at the aquarium store I purchased it from said that I should positioned it in the sand on the bottom of the tank. Can anyone tell me if it's going to harm the coral to position it on my live rock instead of in the sand? Thanks
  16. droth

Green algae on glass?

My water chemistry is as follows. Nitrate – 10 Nitrite – 0 Alkalinity – 250 PH – 8 Salinity - 1.023 I feed my fish every day with just a small pinch of New Life Spectrum pellets and the coral every second day with half a cube of H2O Life frozen coral food. I’m mixing all my salt water...
  17. droth

Carbon Packs?

I wanted to get your opinion on if I should use carbon in my 45 gallon aquariums filter system or not? I have several corals and fish and at this point everyone seems to be happy. My filter system is basic and consists of an Aqua Clear 70 power filter. I used the first carbon pack that came with...
  18. droth

Green algae on glass?

I wanted to ask about some light green algae that I’m getting on the glass of my 45 gallon tank. I seem to have to clean my glass on a daily basis and wondered if this is normal. I’m running a 20” Current USA, Nova Pro light with six T5 bulbs (3 white & 3 blue). I’m running the lighting sequence...
  19. droth

Do you turn your lights off at night?

No it's not an Anemone it's actually called Bubble Coral or Plerogyra Sinuosa. I have been turning my lights completely out at bedtime and then start out with just the nightlights for the first 2 hours in the morning before the full lighting for about 10 hours. David