Search results

1. puffermike

Omg ready to get out the hobby. Frustrated!!

Are you dosing anything in the tank? Try testing all parameters before you do the WC and then after. Then do a final one 24hrs after. Cross reference the three tests and see if you find anything strange. PH,Calc,No3,Alk ect...
  2. puffermike

Gyre XF-150 Long Term Review

I've put together a review for the Maxspect Gyre now that I've owned one for what's coming up to a year. I figured you folks would enjoy checking it out. Gyre XF-150 - Worth The Money Longterm?
  3. puffermike

My new glass box upgrade!

Here are some pics I managed to snag of the fish. Always the hardest... This was my second attempt at getting a copperband. I was able to transition him into eating frozen directly in the display tank from start to finish. He or she is the friendliest fish I own and now eats from my...
  4. puffermike

Elegance I got a couple months ago. Here it was the other day. This angle doesn't do it justice. It's grown considerably from feeding.
  5. puffermike

It's been a while since I've done any updates on this tank. Here are some pictures of what I've been doing along the way since the upgrade. Trachy ready to eat! Finishing the meal.
  6. puffermike

Slow Tissue Necrosis - Mystery

I wish I would have went but I was sound asleep in the sheets. I'm guessing someone will upload the presentation on youtube at some point. A lot of last years were posted up by BRS so that was pretty cool. Joe Yaiullo did a cool presentation on Friday I believe and he mentioned that the...
  7. puffermike

Over the past couple months I've been able to locate the problem. I changed all of my testing dates and water changing schedules to see if anything was going out of wack at different times. I use to test every 2 weeks but now I do it twice weekly. My water change schedule and detritus removal...
  8. puffermike

MACNA

It was a pleasure to see everyone from RS! Macna was quite the experience. Here are a few pics I snagged of some tanks in the hall.
  9. puffermike

MACNA

Mandy is going to love her face in this picture when I show her it. :roflmao:
  10. puffermike

Thank you for the detailed reply! I have been dosing a bit more alk for a few weeks now and although it rises with the dosing my PH does not. I've been considering running my skimmers intake line outside to pull fresh air but I will be disappointed if rising the PH doesn't seem to aid the...
  11. puffermike

When I posted this I recently started carbon dosing to see if it would fix the issue and it hasn't. It's stayed the same. I've lost more specimen than I'd like to say. All primary sps... The LPS seems to be doing fine. The only parameter out of whack after thorough testing is my PH. It...
  12. puffermike

Reefing subscription recommendations

http://www.reefhobbyistmagazine.com You only get 4 issues a year but I thoroughly enjoy every magazine they send. The price is cheap too.
  13. puffermike

Poll: MACNA 2015!! Are you going?

It's never too early to get a head count!
  14. puffermike

I've been battling some issues with STN for a very long time and I'd like to get some insight on it. I'll first give the specs on my old system where it happened and the new specs on my upgrade to compare. My old tank params Sal - 1.026 Nitrates - 10 Calc - 420 Alk - 9 Mag - 1250 Temp - 75...
  15. puffermike

Slippery Rock Corals

SRS is a great store. I've been there a few times and I only wish I lived closer. Like you said though.. best prices and great customer service. They are always looking out for their customers! Rob still is the only vendor that ever asked me how my purchases were doing when I returned...
  16. puffermike

To Feed or Not To Feed Corals?

I just published an article on my feeding methods. You can check it out here cracker! As far as how much food we can get away with dumping into our tanks I'd say that should be gauged by the individual hobbyist. Small tanks will have less coral (hopefully) and in turn that will be less food...
  17. puffermike

Feeding Corals 101

I recently had some questions about the feeding methods used for corals. In this article I go through everything I do step by step. I hope you guys enjoy! Feeding 101 - The RyzingWave.com
  18. puffermike

To Feed or Not To Feed Corals?

Hello Reef Sanctuary! I've recently done a new article on feeding corals. I always come here first to give my articles because you guys are family to me! To Feed or Not To Feed Corals?
  19. puffermike

X150 Gyre VS Vortech MP40QD - Review

I've recently done a review on the Gyre X150 and Vortechs new pump lineup. You can check it out here at RyzingWave.com It's my first post on the new blog!
  20. puffermike

Mayja's 90 Gallon Reef Experience

As far as your choice with live or dry rock it's really a matter of what you want in the tank. I use to get live rock all the time but realized I pay more for it because A - It's live and B - It weighs more because its soaking in water. You do pay for water weight with the more porous rock...