Search results

1. Edison

my latest paramters

Get that Alk up a bit, it will buffer your PH. Having Alk that low can cause the PH to drop, a lot and quickly. First get Alk up then bring up MG to 1230-1350 then get CA to 400-450. MG buffers CA and makes it soluble so corals can use it.
  2. Edison

Light Readings

I've been looking to get a PAR meter and was considering this one from Apogee to use with my Fluke DVM. The Seneye looks like it does a little more for just a little more money. The charting options look very useful. I will definitely consider getting one. Thanks for that!
  3. Edison

Tank Upgrade: RSM 130D to Marineland 70-Gallon Cube

Added a few new corals the other day. Among them are three new Gonipora colonies, a Miami Hurricane frag and a nice Green Acopora. Here's a couple pictures of two of the Goni colonies, the new Chalice and Acro. The third Goni is in a corner of the tank right now and difficult to get a good image...
  4. Edison

Carbon recommendation

I usually use Brightwell but the LFS ran out so I picked up a jar of Marineland. Both seem to work well.
  5. Edison

Glass or Acrylic?

About a year ago I was at the LFS and we were talking about glass vs acrylic. The LFS guy pointed to a tank and said "hey, you see those two hippo tangs and that huge eel? Well someone brought them in because his 300 gallon acrylic popped its front and spilled the contents of the tank on his...
  6. Edison

which is a better deal?

I'd go with the 75 and get it drilled and have an overflow put in.
  7. Edison

bbest thing to use to clean glass?

A piece of white filter pad is what I use to remove the bacterial film that sometimes grows on the glass. It works file for algae too.
  8. Edison

Tank Crash, Need Advice, Sad day here.

Could your PH have dropped due to the Alk getting too low? What's your Alk? Are you dosing an Alk supplement? I had a crash some years back and it was because the Alk dropped and took the PH with it. I think a tomato clown and a foxface were the only survivors.
  9. Edison

Peppermint Shrimp's Bad?

I got a few Brazilian peps because I had a good number of Aiptasia. They ate all of them then one started munching on a Scoly. I was able to get them out but not before the Scoly was stressed to the point that it never recovered. The LFS guy said that the Brazilian peps will almost always mow...
  10. Edison

Submit your best mantis pic!

Here's Godzilla who resides (for now) in the refugium. He's having his own custom tank built and it should get here by the end of Jan.
  11. Edison

Thanks Glenn. Soon we'll be adding another tank to the system. This one is going to be for the Mantis and deep water corals. Right now the Mantis is in the refugium which is not the best place for him- they don't do well in brightly lit areas, they can get shell rot and that can be fatal.
  12. Edison

Hey Everyone! It's been a while since any tank updates so I thought I'd update with some photos and a brief overview of what's been happening with the tank in the past year and a half. About six months after setting up this tank I began to have some algae and Cyano issues, the SPS were going...
  13. Edison

purchasing coral online

I've had very good luck buying corals online. Check reviews of online coral vendors before making your purchase and you will most likely be happy with your new critters. I usually don't order online during the dead of Summer or the extreme cold of Winter as shipments can be delayed at times and...
  14. Edison

Yes. Tank is doing well, just waiting for the new deep sand bed and refugium to get a little more active then I'll add some more corals and a fish or two. I'd like the water and bacterial colonies stable before adding any more animals. We did get one new fish, a Hawaiian Mystery Wrasse...
  15. Edison

Looking a bit better now. All animals are now in the new tank and all are happy! Still a bit more moving around but it's getting there.
  16. Edison

Thanks. Any idea as to ho to get the Rock 'Nem off that rock? I'd really like to get him off there if possible. I was thinking maybe put him (and the rock) in a dark area? His foot his attached way inside of a crevice in the rock and I can't get a finger in there to pry him out.
  17. Edison

Did some aquascaping last night. After about 45 minutes we came up with this. Not done but looking a tad better. Most corals are bunched in the corner so they don't get hit with rocks. They'll be moved once we finish. The Gonapora, clams and Dedrophyllia are still in the RSM but are ready...
  18. Edison

The tank has gone though the inevitable diatom and Cyano blooms and over the past 10 days most all the LPS and softies have been added. The Golden Rhomboid Fairy Wrasse is enjoying his new tank as well. The Gonaporas, Acroporas, clams and the other fish will be added slowly over the next few...
  19. Edison

gamers

If you haven't played Portal or Portal 2 yet, you must. One of the most creative, interesting and humorous games out there. It/they are not FPS but FPP (first person puzzle) games. Crysis 2 is a very good FPS with some role-playing elements built in. Very good, epic us versus aliens sci-fi...
  20. Edison

New Controller-The Vertex Cereba

If they sell the software separately then we should be able to install and run it on any Android tablet as long as it has a USB port. It would also work on a PC or Mac with VM Ware.