Search results

1. MotoReef

royal gramma

Hi I had that issue with a VERY AGGRESSIVE and TERRITORIAL purple tang. The usual methods of rock rearrangement, separation by barriers, mirror in tank, and even isolating the tang for 3 months to 'reset' their territorial brain did not help. It would attack anything that came in as new as...
  2. MotoReef

The 200+ Club

Hi, is this an acrylic or glass tank? I am assuming most glass tanks have tempered glass at the bottom and cannot be drilled at the base, that you are looking at an acrylic tank. Anyway, either way, it is not ideally very safe to have any holes at the base of any tank, (unless it is inside a...
  3. MotoReef

The 200+ Club

A++ Very true.
  4. MotoReef

The 200+ Club

If you went from a 150 to a 240 with same height, you can always get away by clumping all the animals that need the light in the same or similar arrangement in the same light, and leave the other parts of the tank dim. Theoretically the light hitting them is he same if the light distance...
  5. MotoReef

125 gallons of water w/ 3.5% Sodium Chloride

I'm just rolling on the ground with this photo!! SO FUNNY!! NICE PHOTOS!!!!! On some technical side, how do you get white balance with 14,000K lamps? I usually point my SLR into the patch of white sand and set it on custom white balance, then shoot away. It seems to produce a good balance...
  6. MotoReef

Two skimmer or one?

Thanks for quick replies. I guess there is no real disadvantage to running two instead of one... Except the power consumption. Maybe I'll use a timer on one of them so I can use it perhaps the 5-6 hours of daytime when concentrations are at highest, after feeding and when fish are actively...
  7. MotoReef

Wavemaker

Well, the overall improvement I think, will depend on how well your tank is doing right now without one. If all the corals seem happy as it is, changes can make improvements but it can also make things worse. Only sure way to find out is to test doing it really and there isn't much one can...
  8. MotoReef

Two skimmer or one?

I have a 240 gallon tank with a fairly light fish load of 3x2" heniochus, 1x2" racoon butterfly, 5 damsels (small 1") and a pair of 2" blue tangs. It's primarily a soft coral tank, of whatever that the butterfly ended up not eating, and still pretty filled with fingers, leathers, and trees...
  9. MotoReef

The 200+ Club

Just upgraded from a 110 to a 240... Loving life!!! After toiling for 6 months making sure parasites have been eradicated with fish in a 110g hospital, and corals and crustaceans kept separately, finally they have all met in to this beautiful 240 that I found locally for a mere $300. A nice...
  10. DSCF0856-1

DSCF0856-1

11. DSCF0860-2

DSCF0860-2

12. MotoReef

Green Star Polyps are very sad

I have sad Green Star too... I too have two bunches of green stars that used to be fine for 2 years, and now it has been a bit lethargic for the last 2 months. I can't firgure out what may be wrong, (or if its a stage in their life?) Other corals in the tank are lots of trees, fingers and...
  13. DSCF0855

DSCF0855

14. 4329021056_35ddfdc0c7

4329021056_35ddfdc0c7

My tank this week... 110 Gallon Corner Tank
  15. MotoReef

Soft Leathers and Colts with Clams?

WOW NICE TANK!! THanks!!
  16. MotoReef

Thank you for all your replies. I shall try a squamosa or something hardy for starters and see how things grow. The MHQ 150w I have is a dual so it should be at least equivalent to 250w lamp or better, and I will only intend to place clams directly underneath it at about 18" depth. Hoping...
  17. MotoReef

Show me a picture of your favorite coral in your 130

Thanks guys! It's more the nice camera and not the tank itself LOL! I think. But the diatom algae issue I had over the summer is now magically gone, and I didn't change anything. Perhaps the temperature dropping about 2degrees on average was just enough to stabilize the nutrient flow...
  18. MotoReef

Another one of the same tank, trying to be creative but thick acrylic does not lend well to diagonal shooting of the camera. a month between the two photos and some corals have been moved... :)
  19. MotoReef

This is a corner profile Pentagonal tank (110 gallons) ** Finally found a crew of bannerfish that leaves corals alone!! :)
  20. MotoReef

Hello, I have a 110 gallon reef tank with 25 gallon sump with predominantly protein skimmer doing all the filtration. My water parameters matches pretty much the same as what is recommended by the initial thread here on the recommended levels as follows: #1 Calcium 380-450 ppm #2 Salinity...