Two skimmer or one?

MotoReef

I have a 240 gallon tank with a fairly light fish load of 3x2" heniochus, 1x2" racoon butterfly, 5 damsels (small 1") and a pair of 2" blue tangs. It's primarily a soft coral tank, of whatever that the butterfly ended up not eating, and still pretty filled with fingers, leathers, and trees.

ANyway, the question is, I have two equal sized skimmer rated for 300 gallons, which are pulling up fair (and equal amount) of scummy crud at slow rate. When I pull out or shut down one of the skimmer, the remaining one seems to pull about twice the scum, over a slightly longer time.

The point is, I have not noticed any faster nitrate production nor other issues, with using one skimmer. In fact I haven't had any nitrate in measurable levels over what the 120lbs of live rocks are producing, since setting up this tank since the original 3 week cycle time. It was sort of a mini-cycle since the rocks, 50% of the sand, and equipment all came from an established 110 gallon tank of 3 years old. Only thing that needed to equalize is the additioanl water volume, and perhaps a few changes in the in-tank water movement and overall sump flow rate. It's now pushing about 1500gph from two pumps and two drains through sump, and additional pumps providing in-tank flow and waves.

Does anyone know, besides the slightly faster reduction of protein matter (which seems almost indifferent in my case), if there is a significant advantage of operating two large skimmers in a tank?

All I can think of is perhaps the following:

-Increased contact with air
-perhaps a very slight increase in speed of protein removal
-using a LOT more electricity making Eco-Cops really mad...driving an additional MAG3 pump.

What do you suggest?
-

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
ANyway, the question is, I have two equal sized skimmer rated for 300 gallons, which are pulling up fair (and equal amount) of scummy crud at slow rate. When I pull out or shut down one of the skimmer, the remaining one seems to pull about twice the scum, over a slightly longer time.

My thinking is overtime with the loss of one skimmer the proteins will build up and cause you problems, If they are both producing equal skimmate then I feel they are working and are needed.

I'm no expert just my view on things :D

cbrownfish

I have about 200 gallons of water volume in my system and I run 2 X Tunze 9010 skimmers. That has worked out well for me.

MotoReef

Thanks for quick replies.

I guess there is no real disadvantage to running two instead of one...
Except the power consumption. Maybe I'll use a timer on one of them so I can use it perhaps the 5-6 hours of daytime when concentrations are at highest, after feeding and when fish are actively producing waste. And shut it off at night when majority of the plankton and copepod/amphipods are swimming in the dark, and doing good things.

Sound like a good idea?

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Sounds like a good plan.

Maybe you can gradually phase one out using the timer this way you can monitor all levels incase they do start to rise rather than doing it all at once.

Goober35

It is very hard on a pump when it is stopping and starting. You might look into a skimmer that runs 2 pumps on one body.